We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Simple layout graph already built
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Simple layout graph already built? (Read 1137 times)
Simple layout graph already built?
Mar 30th, 2009, 4:28pm

I have a simple graph that has a number of people and companies as nodes connected with edges defined as "owns", "works for" and so on.

Originally built with Prefuse, I'm looking to update the data and want to add a few simple bells and whistles like clicking on a node brings up a box with additional information.

I can't find anything prebuilt that does this and I'm not sure about digging deep into processing if there is something easier to work with.

Here's my original attempt, out of date but you get the idea.
http://onlinedatingpost.com/files/prefuse/

Is there something in processing that will enable me to link up my datafile and display things looking a bit more polished and with my additional criteria?

Closed thing I've seen is Many Eyes at IBM, but I'm not sure I want my data hosted there.

Thanks!
Re: Simple layout graph already built?
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2009, 4:30pm

sorry about the multiple posts, the form was throwing an error.
Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2009, 8:26pm

If your dealing with less than 500 data points, traer.physics is a really nice library that plugs into processing.  You pretty much just specify the nodes and edges and it does a spring layout diagram.  I just read n the exhibit discourse where JohnG had used JGraphT.  There are several nice examples for tree layouts in the forum, just give a search for spring layout or something similar.  I just looked at a nice one by Anthony Mattox that connects to Wikipedia... http://wikiweb.anthonymattox.com/
Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2009, 2:52am

First time i heard of prefuse...
would be great if there would exist some libraries for processing compared to prefuse.
Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2009, 3:43am

Interesting data, maybe you should put a weak, invisible link between main separated node so they don't go so far away from each other.

Mmm, it looks like Many Eyes is using Prefuse, so I am not sure if you will gain anyway.
As the others pointed out, using traer.physics is a possible solution. See, for example, Webpages as Graphs (eg.: this one) which isn't so far from your application.
And indeed, you can probably display a tooltip when hovering a node.
Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2009, 6:41pm

Thanks for the input. I remain stunned that there isn't a simple Flash applet for this after 5 years.

People aren't going to use this stuff when we have to rely on programming knowledge such as "Attraction getAttraction( int index )" that makes me run away and having to use traer along with processing, too much work.

Someone will create a Flash environment that does this easily I hope, will wait until then and continue to update my dataset with my prefuse applet until something better/easier comes along.

Processing is amazing if you have a lot of time to learn yet another language, love the demos.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1