We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Midi controler (Read 1619 times)
Midi controler
Mar 28th, 2009, 2:32pm

Hello,
I would like to know if it is possible to control parameters with a midi controler. in order to have something like the "mouseX" command.
I wish you a nice day or night.
thanks.
Re: Midi controler
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2009, 6:01am

Hi!

I'm neck deep in coursework at the moment and don't have time for an in-depth answer, but yes that should be entirely possible.

I'd suggest you have a look at the ProMidi library at:

http://texone.org/promidi/

What you're going to have to do is capture and interpret the MIDI inputs provided by your controller, then use that data to alter the properties you want to change. For example, a rotary pot on your controller will produce a certain MIDI control code plus some value(s) between 0 and 127. These could be used, for example, to create positional data for graphics, or to alter performance variables.
Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2009, 6:42am

Well thank you very much. I hope i will understand it easily.
Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2009, 3:13pm

Or you could check out themidibus

What you want would look something like this:

Code:
import themidibus.*;

MidiBus mybus;

void setup() {
 size(500,500);
 background(0);

MidiBus.list();
 mybus = new MidiBus(this, "IncommingDevice", "OutgoingDevice");
}

void draw() {
 background(0);
 int channel = 0;
 int number = 0;
 int value = mouseX;
 mybus.sendControllerChange(channel, number, value);
}
Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2009, 6:11am

Thanks a lot
Well i've got another question which follows the first one ( i apologize, my english is bad...)
So, i use ableton live to make music and i've got a padkontrol loops, samples and effects. Is it possible to control ableton and a program wrote with the processing language in the same time ?
In order to have something like if i launch a loop with my midi controler it will also change effects on the screen .
PS: i haven't written my program yet, but i prefer know if it's possible before start.
Have a nice day
Reply #5 - Apr 6th, 2009, 9:26am

Mot Long wrote on Apr 6th, 2009, 6:11am:
Thanks a lot
Well i've got another question which follows the first one ( i apologize, my english is bad...)
So, i use ableton live to make music and i've got a padkontrol loops, samples and effects. Is it possible to control ableton and a program wrote with the processing language in the same time
In order to have something like if i launch a loop with my midi controler it will also change effects on the screen .
PS: i haven't written my program yet, but i prefer know if it's possible before start.
Have a nice day

yes
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1