We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpElectronics,  Serial Library › Accessing printer through serial port
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Accessing printer through serial port (Read 733 times)
Accessing printer through serial port
Mar 28th, 2009, 5:51am

Hey, im new to processing so any help you could give me would be much appreciated.
I am trying to get control of the rollers on my 9 pin dot matrix printer (epson LX 300+). Initially I was going to do this through arduino but hope to do it through processing using the serialwrite programme.

The printer has a serial port and I am using the a serial to USB on my MAC OSX 10.4 system.

I am trying to understand the serial write application but am finding it very difficult.
In string portName = serial.list()[0] I'm not sure what to put in, but the result I get from doing this is:

Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Java lib Version   = RXTX-2.1-7

but when I change the [0] to 1 I get:

Experimental:  JNI_OnLoad called.
I googled these results and did not find anything too helpful.

I have been told that I should find the manual for the printer and this will tell me what to put into the simpleWrite, but what am I exactly looking for in the manual.

Any help you could give would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

p.s. I dont have a driver for the cable but can obtain it. Unfortunately I can't find drivers for the printer that will work on my MAC OS.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1