We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
[General] Camcorder OR WEB cam (Read 413 times)
[General] Camcorder OR WEB cam
Mar 24th, 2009, 12:22pm

Khmm, well hello for start!
I’m in dilemma, so I need advice(s)…

I’m new to Processing environment and concept of visual programming, so to say.
I’ve been using Processing for liberating my mind and code, visual way.
I think I will spend some time doing so Wink .

While crunching through Processing environment following book from Daniel Shiffman, I’ve seen some parts dedicated to image/video analysis. Which, I find pretty interesting.
I don’t own my video input device Wink. So I’m planning buying one.
My dilemma is camcorder(used) or web camera, why?

Well for some decent web camera(even 300k pixel camera cost around 40$) in my country ill spend around ~80$, and that is a lot money for “only” web camera. Searching around I have found Sony DCR-HC47E(http://tinyurl.com/SONY-dcr)
camcorder priced at ~80$ used. That way I have, portable camera that I can use for a lot more stuff.

What I expect to do with camera?
Image analysis, object recognition, “pattern” ,… all of that sound to me like high(relative) resolution, which I think is OK for still images and Processing doing processing images, and here I see bit more in favour of web camera. I know that camcorder and still images are not so good, at least not in my budget Wink
Later I’m planning to transfer to mobile phones, and try to experiment with image analysis from there.
Then take all of software and mix it a bit with electronics , weee

All that, just to learn and try to implement some of my ideas, nothing commercial…

Any advice(s)?

Best regards,
Matthew  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1