We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Question about multiple monitor support...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Question about multiple monitor support... (Read 625 times)
Question about multiple monitor support...
Mar 21st, 2009, 6:48am

I need to draw a pretty simple output on up to 9 monitors...I'm wondering if that's possible with Processing?

For the most part this'll be a simple color on each of the 9 screens (different on each), and sometimes pictures, and if possible sometimes a movie, possible a single movie split over all screens.

Is such a thing possible in processing?

If necessary, I was thinking about using VLC's "wall" mode to handle the video playback over 9 screens.

Thanks for any tips.
Re: Question about multiple monitor support...
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2009, 9:10am

I believe you need to look at the MostPixelsEver library. Although you must have a corresponding hardware, of course, at least 5 graphics cards in the same PC, or perhaps a group of computers coordinated with network functions.
Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2009, 9:35am

Thanks, MostPixelsEver looks fantastic.

One question though: in the wiki, it says "The Most Pixels Ever library is a software solution for taking a single-screen real-time graphics application (developed in Java) and spanning it across multiple screens (each connected to a separate computer)." Does that mean one computer can't have multiple monitors attached to it?

http://code.google.com/p/mostpixelsever/wiki/HowThisWorks

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2009, 6:07pm

As I wrote, you have to investigate first the hardware possibilities. In standard world, modern graphic cards has two outputs, so can control 2 screens. Perhaps, but I am not sure, you can put several cards, although I don't know how the computer manages them, if it can.
Perhaps there are some special devices for your kind of usage, I don't know.
Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2009, 10:25pm

I'm all set on the hardware. You can indeed put multiple graphics cards in a computer. I've run 3 dual head cards in the past, and more than that is no problem. And there are triple head cards too, though I haven't used those yet.

All I'm wondering about is the software side.

FYI, for Windows, the Ultramon forum is an excellent resource for extreme multi monitor support.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1