We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › OutOfMemoryError: Okay, but WHY
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
OutOfMemoryError: Okay, but WHY? (Read 270 times)
OutOfMemoryError: Okay, but WHY?
Mar 19th, 2009, 5:17am

I keep getting an 'OutOfMemoryError' when running this sketch. As far as I can tell I'm using far less resources than most of my other sketches. I have five simple 'robots' made out of a few boxes each, walking around in 3d.

In other sketches I've maxed out the number of entities past one thousand, with way more internal variables each. Of corse the frame rate suffers but processing never has complained before.

It seems like i'm hitting a weird bug, I went about making this the same way as most of my other 3d sketches, so what's up?

http://openprocessing.org/visuals/?visualID=1253

?_? please help my robots desperately need robot medicine !_!
Re: OutOfMemoryError: Okay, but WHY?
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2009, 8:35am

Hi

Have you tried changing the memory allocated for Processing?
In Preferences it is set for 512 MB, you could easily boost it to double that.
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2009, 9:29am

I did. Never having this problem before (even with huge sketches with hundreds of objects) I thought it was strange. Appears to be some kind of lower level bug. Someone on open processing left me a comment and the quickest hack seems to be using Rectangles instead of ellipsis.

Problem solved!

Weird, but robots look better with square eyes anyways.
Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2009, 3:46pm

See my answer to Maximum dimensions of ellipse() . Not the same error, but apparently related.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1