We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › starting out - displaying images from FlickR
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
starting out - displaying images from FlickR (Read 655 times)
starting out - displaying images from FlickR
Mar 17th, 2009, 1:02pm

Hello Folks,

I'm currently researching a project in which I would like to display images from flickR(from the"most recent" uploads) in my processing Sketch. While I'm working my way through processing(books and self directed research) i'm having a few problems understanding this task.

Any help and advice would be appreciated,

Thanks.

Re: starting out - displaying images from FlickR
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2009, 1:16pm

Advice: start with simple sketches, related or not to your task. Eg. looping, displaying an image from the data folder, getting data from a Web site.
Once you are more at ease with the language and its way of doing things, you will be able to attack a more complex task. I see a difficulty for newbies is to estimate the complexity of what they want to do... Smiley

Of course, also search the forum (you are probably not the first trying to do that) and don't hesitate to ask for help on specific questions.
Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2009, 7:13pm

I've been working on a couple of different projects which involve grabbing pics from flickr as well.  What aspect of the project are you having difficulty with? the flickr API? XML parsing? programming in general?
Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2009, 11:04pm

Hi Phil, Johnny. Thanks for the replies.

I would say that the main things I'm struggling with are the API and XML parsing. I've seen a couple of example sketches that use flickR but they haven't worked for me. Am I right in saying that the API won't give me an image but instead a URL?

I guess the main thing is how can I display an image from flickR whether it's from a single user or a group.

anyway, if someone could post some example code that I could look at I'd be grateful. Never going to learn if  I don't ask, eh.

Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2009, 5:57pm

Make sure you have a look at the Flickr API here:  http://www.flickr.com/services/api/

I've been using the REST request/response format because it seemed the easiest.

You'll want to get a API key and try some simple requests.  This can be done by entering a URL into your browser.  You'll get an XML doc back with the information you requested.

I don't have the code in front of me but can post some simple request URLs later on if you like, or do a search in the forums.

I've been using ProXML to parse the XML responses.  One issue that's been difficult to deal with is that you don't know how long it'll take to get a response back.  If you send multiple requests, the responses can come back out of order.  It can get a little hairy keeping track of which response goes with which request.  If there's a better way, I'd love to hear about it.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1