We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Navigation Change
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Navigation Change (Read 1289 times)
Navigation Change
Mar 14th, 2009, 4:11am

So, last night we changed the navigation of the site (see above). The order from left to right was re-ordered and more:

- Some Reference sections were consolidated to remove the third level of navigation
- The Abridged reference has gone away; what was formerly the Extended reference is now the only reference
- Getting Started was folded into the Tutorials
- Compare was moved from Reference to Learning

We hope this makes it easier to find what you're looking for.

Also, the Hacks section has been temporarily removed. It will probably be included in a new Wiki with a broader focus.

Re: Navigation Change
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2009, 11:26am

I just posted some new info to the Hacks wiki, before seeing this notice that it has been removed (or at least hidden).

Let me know if I can help clean up, organize, or otherwise resurrect this valuable resource.
Reply #2 - May 29th, 2009, 10:11am

Scott,

A few months ago, we were planning a new Wiki to include the Hacks content, and also have room for other types of content. The Hacks wiki wasn't working out, it was barely updated once a month, and usually just small edits. Ben and I have been swamped with other work and I'm having second thoughts about putting in more infrastructure on the site. I'm curious about the desire from the community to have a Wiki to nurture.

Casey

Reply #3 - May 29th, 2009, 2:09pm

Thanks, Casey.

I know that, for me, some of the content on the Hacks wiki has been invaluable.  At its best, it offers useful tutorials, presenting information in a more structured form than is found on the Discourse forums.

The forums are searchable, but the discussion usually revolves around one person's specific code question, not approaches to a particular problem in general.  Also, they are discussions, not tutorials, and sometimes require a great deal of energy to read, absorb, and evaluate, just to identify whether or not the information is relevant to my question right now.

So the tutorial-like structure of the wiki pages can be helpful, but wikis have other challenges:
  • Need a critical mass of participants to write, update, and maintain content (which may be feasible, as the Processing community continues to grow)
  • Need admin oversight to address spam, wrongly deleted posts, etc.

What other kinds of content were you thinking could be put on the wiki?  There may be other, non-wiki solutions that we just haven't considered yet.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1