We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Processing for web developement
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing for web developement (Read 825 times)
Processing for web developement
Mar 9th, 2009, 8:53pm

I was wondering if there are any tutorials or information for using Processing not just for developing web apps, but entire sites. It would be very helpful to have some information about the capacity for Processing in this regard for a newbie like myself who isn't familiar with other languages.
Re: Processing for web developement
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2009, 11:46pm

I don't think it have been done before (to my limited knowledge).
It is a bad idea anyway, like it is a bad idea to make a 100% Flash site: Google (and other search engines) will never index its content, which is quite bad to get visits.
Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2009, 5:41pm

I saw someone that had done this a while back, it was someone that was using processing to make 3d-flocking type
sketches and their whole site was in processing , can't remember who though.

Agreeing with philo it is a bad idea though, not only does it not get indexed but all visitors need javascript enabled AND a java plug-in, the sketch would have to load quickly and be lightwieght too.

if you re really all about doing this you don't need to know anything special, just export your website sketch and in the HTML file it creates, copy the processing div container and post it into your own
html doc, upload that to your website and put the .jar file in the same directory.

I did that for a non-profit here, a made a roll-over "thing" on their homepage:
lrwp.org  
I now regret using processing though, I am going to re-write it in javascript, (when time permits)
looking back it was a dumb idea to do this(but fun)
Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2009, 11:34pm

Thanks action_owl, PhiLho;

Unfortunately the world of programming can become very dense outside of the transparency of the Processing environment. I'm at a point where creating and programming within Processing, is a reasonable challenge, yet possible. The problem, I’m finding, is that the moment I want to extend this new found knowledge onto the web, there exists a new vocabulary to decipher (Java).

Any suggestions for a great Java tutorial/text would be appreciated.
Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2009, 5:37pm

Yes, web development can indeed get complex.  No argument there.  And yes, the Processing environment does a good job of "getting out of your way" and letting you concentrate on what you want to work on.

However, I feel strongly that the solution to "problem W is hard, but problem G is easy if I use P" is not always "I should try to do problem A using P, too."  And in case my little secret code is too hard to crack, there, W = web development, G = graphics, and P is Processing.

Processing isn't made to make websites.  It's made to make graphics.  So naturally, making graphics with it is easy.  Making websites with it will be more pain and anguish than I think you are ready for.

If you're having trouble doing web programming, look around for some tools that are made to do that.  Like my Mamma taught me, use the right tool for the job.  And in this case, Processing ain't the right tool.

There's a zillion good, great, and crappy web frameworks out there to choose from.  If you care to list the type of functionality you're trying to create in your website, I don't doubt that some of the smart people here may have more specific suggestions as to which ones might suit you best.
Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2009, 8:17pm

KEVLAR wrote on Mar 16th, 2009, 11:34pm:
Thanks action_owl, PhiLho;
Any suggestions for a great Java tutorial/text would be appreciated.

Eclipse has some nice video tutorials, these paired with a good book and a few trips to http://java.sun.com/reference/docs/ will get you going, I can only suggest that you DONT buy "SAM's teach yourself Java"
Reply #6 - Mar 21st, 2009, 5:33pm

If you want to try something other than Java for web development I can recommend a site covering a nice subset of PHP in a clear and concise way like the Processing documentation.

http://devguru.com/technologies/php/home.asp

I once downloaded all the PHP reference in one HTML file and it was so large that my computer could barely display it, then I found this and have developed a simple site that should let me add things easily. Its a start at least.
Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2009, 6:10pm

Rick, thanks for the link.

For Java I recently discovered Dan Shiffman's Nature of Code, Introduction to Computational Media (http://www.shiffman.net/teaching/). As a newbie, I found it really helpful and accessible.

In terms of other useful links, this topic was covered in Processing Tutorials & Programming Resources!
« on: Sep 25th, 2006, 9:28pm » (http://processing.org/discourse/yabb_beta/YaBB.cgi?board=Collaboration;action=display;num=1159212501)
Reply #8 - Mar 23rd, 2009, 11:31pm

PhiLho  wrote on Mar 9th, 2009, 11:46pm:
I don't think it have been done before (to my limited knowledge).

Toxi made www.lateral.net enterely in processig some years ago. He used plone.org as CMS.
Reply #9 - Mar 24th, 2009, 10:30am

f4 wrote on Mar 23rd, 2009, 11:31pm:
Toxi made www.lateral.net enterely in processig some years ago. He used plone.org as CMS.

I am curious. How do you use a Python CMS to make a Processing site Generating sketch source files
Reply #10 - Apr 28th, 2009, 7:07am

PhiLho, not quite source code generation, but using a magic thing called XML... the current lateral.net site is not the one f4 referred to, a screenshot of the one in question is here:

http://infosthetics.com/archives/2006/01/treemap_website_layout.html

the website was an interactive treemap visualization of the entire cms database content. you could navigate from anywhere to anywhere with just one click. selecting a cell would maximize it until other cells can't be shrunk any further and then display content within the given area, all using a custom gui framework, html parsing and layout templates for different content types...
Reply #11 - Apr 30th, 2009, 12:25pm

Scloopy used to have a great processing based site. It was quite a fun experience:

http://onecm.com/archive/v1/

A bit dated now, but relevant to the thread I guess.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1