We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsSoftware,  Documentation,  Website Suggestions › I want to kill the "discourse" YaBB.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
I want to kill the "discourse" YaBB. (Read 3379 times)
I want to kill the "discourse" YaBB.
Mar 5th, 2009, 7:36pm

With my bare hands. Repeatedly. "Why," you ask? Because I always check the "remember me" box, when I log in, but it does't. And because I click to reply to some post, and it makes me log in, and it forgets what I was trying to do, and puts me back on the front page of the forum, and I have to re-navigate to the post, and click the same stupid "reply" button. YaBB is written by IDIOTS WHO HATE THEIR USERS. There, I said it.
Re: I want to kill the "discourse" YaBB.
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2009, 9:33pm

yeah, we know. any suggestions?
Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2009, 9:40pm

fjen wrote on Mar 5th, 2009, 9:33pm:
yeah, we know. any suggestions
Sure! If you guys fork YaBB and put your fork on GitHub, I'll try to fix the things that bother me and send a pull request.

Or you could ditch YaBB for google groups, yahoo groups, plain old usenet + GMane...
Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2009, 10:32pm

fjen wrote on Mar 5th, 2009, 9:33pm:
yeah, we know. any suggestions

Any plan to upgrade to 2.3.1 This 1.4 version looks a bit old. Are there compatibility issue Lack of time Support of history

Personally, I am starting to be used to the wrinkles of this forum... Smiley The most annoying thing is the lack of shortcuts for YaBBCode. I started to write a Greasemonkey to add Mark It Up! to the textareas... I should finish it someday and make it public. Smiley

Note I don't have the problem of Jonathan: most of the time, it remembers me. Since I refresh the main page before doing anything else, if I see all forums marked as read, I remember to log in... An annoyance is that you can't refresh the page after login (it sees that as another attempt to log in!), I have to remember to click on Discourse link first.
Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2009, 6:27pm

To answer the question, it's been a combination of "time" with not realizing the older YaBB software was functioning so poorly. We're almost ready to move the discourse over to YaBB 2+, oh so close.
Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2009, 8:36am

Any plan to use GeSHi for code highlight?
or if it is already there, how shall we use it?

[code=pde] [/code]
Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2009, 9:45am

No real need for it, since you can use Export to Discourse in PDE...
Which I never use...
Reply #7 - Jun 4th, 2009, 10:14am

Ok, now I understand what it was... (I had no clue that it was for the forum).
Something integrated into YABB might be easier.
Reply #8 - Jun 4th, 2009, 1:53pm

Actually, I kind of agree, although if the copy for discourse is more flexible, it can take your own color settings:
Quote:
/**
 * setup() is called at start
 */
void setup()
{
  // size() must be the first call
  size(400, 400);
  smooth();
  color c = #BAB100;
  background(c);
  int fr = 24;
  String fn = "Foo.png";
  frameRate(fr);
  img = loadImage(fn);
}

And I don't know if GeSHi is available for YaBB... Unlikely: it is made for phpBB and it is written in PHP while YaBB is written in Perl!
Reply #9 - Jun 9th, 2009, 9:29am

Geshi is very simple to use within PHP. I have no idea how YABB works. It's true, it doesn't seems easy to use PHP within PERL.

Here is an implementation: http://anar.ch/examples/CYCLE22GridModulo.htm
For example, keywords used by our library points directly into the javadoc.

Someone else was asking this: http://processing.org/discourse/yabb2/num_1221019140.html
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1