We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › evaluate 3d structures
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
evaluate 3d structures (Read 243 times)
evaluate 3d structures
Mar 3rd, 2009, 3:25pm

Hello, how can i evaluate  3d structures generated algorithmically in processing to know if it can support itself if i build it in reality? for example imagine that each structure is conformed by a group of boxes one over the others, how can i calculate the threshold that i need to maintain in order to avoid the collapse of my structure? Is this can be done with traer.physics?

thanks
Re: evaluate 3d structures
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2009, 6:28pm

traer.physics is more oriented towards particle systems than rigid body simulation, so I wouldn't try going that route.

There are a number of free physics packages, some 2D, some 3D, available on the net today.  I don't know of one that has already been ported to Processing that fits your exact needs, so you may need to do that.

Look around for a 3D, java-based physics library that supports:
* structures that are rigid, but still flex somewhat under stress,
* rotating and fixed joints

And when you get it ported to Processing, by all means contribute it to the community!
Re: evaluate 3d structures
Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2009, 10:00am

hello, i just checked that the ODE library supports rigid body  simulation and i also saw there a javas library , Do you know if its possible to use the ode java library and processing used as library in java?

thanks
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1