We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpProcessing Implementations › If you were starting the Processing project now
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
If you were starting the Processing project now? (Read 1466 times)
If you were starting the Processing project now?
Mar 1st, 2009, 8:10pm

Dear Processing developers and others:

If you were starting the Processing project now in 2009, instead of 2001, and had and had say a few years to work on it, what would you do?

Assume the following about this new language, which we'll call 5555 (about the worst name possible):

1) 5555 to be a GREAT, easy to learn language (Processing has this).
2) 5555 to run at least about as fast as Processing does now (Processing has this).
3) 5555 has to have some existing libraries for the base language that can be ported to 5555.

And:
1) has to run in the browser as a trusted app, and with a plugin that's well maintained (Processing sorta has this).
2) In the browser, needs to be able to communicate with the internet. (Processing doesn't have this.)

Some possibilities:

For the browser plugin: flash, Google nativeClient, html5 canvas element.

For the 5555 language: Python, Ruby, Java (again), ActionScript 3 (*gag*)

For the implementation of the 5555 library: openFrameworks, ActionScript 3.0, Processing (e.g. Java), JavaScript

For my 2 cents, I would lean toward trying openFrameworks on Google nativeClient, with the 5555 language in Python.
Re: If you were starting the Processing project no
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:48am

chazmatazz wrote on Mar 1st, 2009, 8:10pm:
2) In the browser, needs to be able to communicate with the internet. (Processing doesn't have this.)

It have this already, actually.

From what I know, openFrameworks is a C++ library. You will have hard time to make it work on a browser, even less in a portable way (probably need to be an ActiveX in IE, an extension in Firefox, etc.). Same to run Python on the browser, except perhaps Jython.

Unless I miss what Google nativeClient is (I don't really know, can only guess).
Re: If you were starting the Processing project no
Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2009, 5:14pm

google client is actually something that allow to run applications compiled in C++ natively on any computer/OS/browser.

To me the only down side of chazmatazz's idea is that openframeworks is in C++ . and programming in C++ is not as easy as programming in java. (garbage collection and pointers mainly).

many of my non IT friends play around with processing. i cannot imagine then using openframeworks.

Henri
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1