We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
NyARToolkit (Read 2906 times)
NyARToolkit
Feb 18th, 2009, 9:46am

Has anyone succeeded in using the NyARToolkit Java library ?

http://nyatla.jp/nyartoolkit/wiki/index.php?NyARToolkit for Java.en

I can't find a lot of infos on it, as everything seems to be in Japanese.
This could be really interesting to use, as it's written completely in Java and, contrary to JARToolkit, don't use a DLL, so it's cross-platform.
Re: NyARToolkit
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2009, 12:14pm

Hello Melka,

I just got NyAR to work. With a regular webcam and vdig 1.01 it works around 15 fps i think.
Still, I've got japanese remarks in the code, so I have to figure out what these mean.

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2009, 3:54pm

Interesting. Would you be kind enough to explain how you managed to get it working ?
Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2009, 2:36pm

I'd really like to know as well.  I'm trying to get it running on my Mac.  It seems that it should be cross platform, but I'm not shocked it's having some issues.

The problem I have is that I get a blank gray window when I run the example project, with no errors and no indicators of what the problem is.
Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2009, 3:04pm

I was able to get it running on my Windows system by installing VDIG.  If I'm understanding correctly that this allows the camera to capture Quicktime, surely it's not necessary for the Mac?  I can get my camera to work in other Processing sketches just fine.

The documentation for NyARToolkit indicates that it also depends on JOGL and JMF.  I'm assuming JOGL is already part of the Processing distribution.  What about JMF?  I would think all of the things JMF provides are also already covered.
Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2009, 11:18am

Hello,

Indeed, you will need WinVDIG_101 (not higher; first i tried version 1.05 which didnt't work)
Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2009, 1:19pm

Any thoughts on running it on a Mac?
Reply #7 - Aug 11th, 2009, 4:36pm

Just a quick note for those subscribed to this thread (and since it is the most recent/most active thread on the topic) -- I now have NyARToolkit working on Mac.

The Mac works just fine with PDE. I think the problem is that if you run inside PDE, it defaults to applet and something about the Mac JOGL implementation as invoked by NyAR gets... unhappy. There are all sorts of things that can cause this to fail, so I'll leave it at that.

Just choose present or add a main method, and you'll be fine.

I'm cleaning up the code and adding English comments as well as porting more advanced ARToolkit examples. Stay tuned...

Welcome feedback, and curious if anyone else has been working on this since...
Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2009, 5:15am

we did some tests with nyartoolkit, but was too unstable for serious usage. we had to fix some things on the original java files to cut down some memory leaks but even so it wasnt stable enough for long term instalation kind of projects.

simpleartoolkit might be a more worth checking alternative, its also based on nyartoolkit afaicr. it's only limitation is that it only works for 1 fiducial.

hoping that AR technology in processing improves to more usable states. Sad
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1