We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Automata Flowfield
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Automata Flowfield (Read 1140 times)
Automata Flowfield
Feb 17th, 2009, 5:46pm

This is somewhere between Game of Life type Cellular Automata and Fluid simulation. The interaction is all based on scalars, but then by taking the difference between neighbours this scalar field is represented as a vector one.

http://spacesymmetrystructure.wordpress.com/2009/02/16/the-difference-between-my-neighbours/

Any ideas for future developments?
Re: Automata Flowfield
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2009, 6:59pm

It's interesting (and pretty) but difficult to understand the underlying cells from the visualization.  If you could somehow draw the cells themselves first, and then the arrows on top of them so we could start to understand what the arrows are based on and the rules behind the automata, that would be cool.  Also cool would be if you could generalize it in some way that users could input their own rule sets for the automata.
Reply #2 - Feb 17th, 2009, 7:48pm

Thanks cloister for the suggestions.
I agree that letting users change the rule sets would be great, I might have a go at that.
Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2009, 7:23pm

Great colors and motion!

What about non uniform locations for these cells, like a smoothed random distribution across the screen? You could take distance between cells into account of your transmission factor.

Maybe you could add some boids who follow the nearby cell's direction like wind currents?
Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2009, 10:16pm

Thanks. Yes, putting some moving particles in there would be really interesting, I wonder how differently they would behave compared to flocking boids or points in Perlin noise flowfields.

I think non-uniform cell locations would be quite tough to implement. I wouldnt know where to start. Without an obvious order to update in and a simple Von Neumann neighbourhood it gets very confusing.

(unless there was another underlying regular grid hidden behind the random one)

It could be really interesting though. If the cells are randomly placed they could be moving too...
but then wouldnt that be the same as boids?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1