We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Interacting with Music Player Daemon
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Interacting with Music Player Daemon (Read 824 times)
Interacting with Music Player Daemon
Feb 14th, 2009, 5:33am

I'm new to Java and Processing, and I'm trying to figure out how to get information from MPD in Linux. There's a Java API for MPD (http://www.thejavashop.net/javampd/index.shtml), but I can't figure out how to use it from Processing.

Alternatively, I could use command line programs to do the same thing, although it's not ideal. Is this possible? I know java is designed to be platform independent, and portable, so I'm guessing it may not be. However, must other languages have a way to do this.

Thanks
Re: Interacting with Music Player Daemon
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2009, 9:16am

The examples page seems clear and simple enough, at least for somebody with a little knowledge of Java.
What are you trying to do, exactly?
Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2009, 2:42pm

I'm trying to get text from MPD, things like song title. Which example are you referring to? Unfortunately, I don't have much knowledge of Java, and I can't figure out where to put the mpd jar file so that I use it processing. Is there a way to run OS level commands? I look at the examples for a while for something like that, but I didn't see anything.
Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2009, 5:50pm

Examples page.
I don't have an Unix installed, so I can't try MPD I fear.
To use a foreign Java library in Processing, you must put the jar in a code folder in the sketch folder. Or, apparently, just dragging the jar file on the PDE works, so I read.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1