We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Algorithm help: edge-detection -> beziers
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Algorithm help: edge-detection -> beziers? (Read 391 times)
Algorithm help: edge-detection -> beziers?
Feb 13th, 2009, 8:43pm

I have an image processing project in mind that wants to have some sort of nice mathematical representation (bezier curves or similar) of the edge features in an image.

The edge-detection filter is not the problem.  I can handle that part.

What don't have a good idea about is how to take the results of the edge detection (i.e. all the "bright" points in the image that remain after applying the edge detection filter) and reduce that to a clean set of bezier or similar curves.

Put more formally, I would like to find the parameters of the smallest set of bezier curves for which all those bright points are within some tolerance interval of at least one of the curves.

Does anyone know of an algorithm that would do the job? (Or better yet, does anyone happen to know of a processing library that can already do something like this?)

Thanks!
Re: Algorithm help: edge-detection -> beziers?
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2009, 10:09pm

This site looks like it matches your description:
http://www.lems.brown.edu/~tt/2Dfitting/ipcurves.html

Lots of math involved. There used to be a demo of it on the page but I couldn't open it.

To find the site, I did a search for 'curve fitting' and 'object recognition'

Hope it gives you some ideas.
Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2009, 10:31pm

Thanks.  Interesting paper, but you're right.  A lot of math.  I'll hold out hope for a while that someone knows of something that is closer to an off-the-shelf solution.
Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2009, 10:36pm

Vectorization of a bitmap is indeed a hard task... There aren't much libraries handling that (haven't seen much, more exactly), most of them being in C.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1