We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOther Libraries › trouble getting Processing to find libraries
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
trouble getting Processing to find libraries (Read 719 times)
trouble getting Processing to find libraries
Feb 12th, 2009, 8:09pm

I'm trying to use the controlP5 GUI library, but am having trouble getting Processing to find the libraries. From what I've read, the library needs to be installed in the libraries folder in my sketchbook directory. I've tried both putting the controlP5 folder in the libraries folder, and have also tried pulling out the controlP5.jar file into the libraries folder, and in each case calling import controlP5.*; produces an error which indicates that the package does not exist. Am I misunderstanding something here?
Re: trouble getting Processing to find libraries
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2009, 10:42pm

Must be:

<sketch folder>\libraries\controlP5\library\controlP5.jar
Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2009, 11:02pm

Right, that is exactly where it is, and it's still not working. I'm running Processing 1.0.1 on Leopard and simply trying out one of the examples from the controlP5 website. So far as I can tell, I'm doing everything right, except that it is just not working. Is there ANYTHING anyone can think of that would be preventing this from working? I'm having the same problem with interfascia. Ahhh!
Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2009, 11:12pm

Ah - I restarted my computer and things seem to be working properly now. Restarting Processing alone didn't though. Curious... Thanks for the help.
Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2009, 7:32pm

The catch for MacOSx users is that applications on the MacOSX are technically folders -- the library folder is "Inside" the application; you have to right click (control click) on the app to find the library.
Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2009, 8:40pm

bingomanatree wrote on Feb 21st, 2009, 7:32pm:
The catch for MacOSx users is that applications on the MacOSX are technically folders -- the library folder is "Inside" the application; you have to right click (control click) on the app to find the library.

No, don't do that. Read the "Libraries" item on the changes page:
http://processing.org/reference/changes.html#0162
Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2009, 8:54pm

Right, I have it in the libraries folder now as instructed on the change page. I think that the reason why I had to restart my computer was that I tried to run the application before I did have the library in the right spot, and I think that that wigged out the processing environment (or something weird). As I said though, once I restarted the computer, it worked splendidly. Well, splendidly expect that text boxes still don't work in ControlWindows.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1