We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › Realtime music visualization
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Realtime music visualization (Read 2679 times)
Realtime music visualization
Feb 9th, 2009, 7:55am

Hello.

I've been working with Processing for quite a time now, mostly using it to visualize datasets, extracted from databases, be that AD or SQL or just about anything else.

Now I have another idea - to try to visualize music in real time. I know, minim sound library has classes to work with audiofiles, BUT the problem is - it seems to me that you can't "attach" to a "Wave Out" device, you can only load a file, or open a "Line In" or such. Now what I want is to rig Processing to the output of an external audioplayer application and use it for realtime visualization. To give you a few examples - Advanced Visualization Studio in Winamp (now completely outdated), Milkdrop, or just about any primitive visualizer, that you can find in your average audioplayer app. Surely, Processing has much potential in that field.

Now, I understand, that what I want to do might be (and probably is) non-crossplatform, or even sound architecture specific. Even then, I'd really appreciate if some kind soul could point me in the right direction with this.

Thanks alot in advance.
Re: Realtime music visualization
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2009, 6:26pm

Well, I am going to answer my own question here.

The most obvious way to do it under windows, it seems, is the following: just enable "Stereo Mixer" as a recording device and, - voila, your wave out gets magically rerouted to input. Now you can call Minim::getLineIn() and do whatever you intend to do.

Now, this is a very hardware- and software-specific solution - it works only under windows and only if your sound card supports it (although, most do, as far as I am informed). Obviously, this is a no go for applets, since it is not supposed to ask the user to change some obscure sound card settings.

So, good to know there IS a way to do what I want, but I am off to find a more flexible solution to this. Hope this info might help someone, who has the same question I did.
Re: Realtime music visualization
Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2009, 10:24pm

thanks a lot man! I was looking for the exact same. let me know if you find a workaround Smiley
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1