We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Polar Graphing Fun
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Polar Graphing Fun (Read 1393 times)
Polar Graphing Fun
Jan 31st, 2009, 11:39pm

This is the first thing that I wrote that I felt was actually worth spending
more than 5 seconds looking at. Polar graphs are quite nice things to work with because you get a lot of mileage out of 3 lines of code. It invites you to explore the many  beautiful patterns you can plot when you plot the polar graphs with a limited number of points. You see by not showing all the points and by rotating the graph interesting aliase patterns develop. Not only can you explore the space with your mouse but you can note the values in the lower right to share your findings in the comments section.

It was terribly difficult to get that code working in a wordpress
page. I'll have to study the issue and come up with a better solution
than hacking applet embed code.

Enjoy.

http://welcometochrisworld.com/2009/01/30/old-polar-bars/
Re: Polar Graphing Fun
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2009, 1:48am

This would go well with some laser noises triggered from the same data.

PEW PEW PEW
Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2009, 9:42am

Excellent!
It is amazing to see the variety of schemes we get with this simple sketch.
Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2009, 11:14am

I thought about using the mouse button to select pixels to make notes on and share with others as you explore the space. In theory there are 360,000 different variations in there. Some are more mesmerizing then others.
Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:05am

Excellent Chris! Very interesting and lightweight! Where can I get some (concise) background? I'm not much familiar with polar graphs. Tx
Andrea
Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2009, 5:32pm

sirhcsenots wrote on Feb 1st, 2009, 11:14am:
I thought about using the mouse button to select pixels to make notes on and share with others as you explore the space. In theory there are 360,000 different variations in there. Some are more mesmerizing then others.

Amazing! thanks for sharing the code. I think the notes idea is cool... remembers me of thoughtpile.org. how about getting the pixels to stop moving as you finish reading each note
Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2009, 9:31am

hey thanks for the response everyone.

I wrote a new version that's more for exploration of the variables.

http://welcometochrisworld.com/2009/02/04/download-polar-exploration/

And about a concise over view of polar graphing... Well, I'm not sure what you mean. My first thought was the wiki page but I think shooting a movie for this project to help explain what it's doing might be a fun project. So, who knows, you might get that Andrea.
Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2009, 4:04pm

Very cool.  Such a simple idea, but first I've seen anyone do it, I certainly never thought of it.  Mesmerizing indeed
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1