We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › are minim AudioSnippets ready to go
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
are minim AudioSnippets ready to go? (Read 1090 times)
are minim AudioSnippets ready to go?
Jan 31st, 2009, 3:15am

So a while back I had some problems using AudioSnippet; they were clicking and popping etc. Has that been dealt with? And can you use an AudioSnippet while an AudioPlayer is playing a song?

If the answer is no to the first one, can you use an older version of minim that didn't have the problem w/ processing 1.01?

Thanks! This weekend I hope to use Processing on the World Wide Game Jam so speedy answers would be useful...
Re: are minim AudioSnippets ready to go?
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2009, 9:09pm

Sounds like the answer is "no, AudioSnippets are still broken and will play little pieces of themselves at intervals after the sound is over" Is there something I'm doing wrong? This is a pretty serious regression from the older version of the library!
Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2009, 4:51am

It seems to be working fine now...
are certain files or filetypes more error-prone?

I thought I heard a repeat of the problem w/ a "ringin.wav", one of the ones bundled on my windows box... but now with some small mp3s it seems fine...

Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2009, 9:15pm

And now it's broken again.
Murphy's law being what it is, right after we shipped a version for the game jam.

This sucks. I love processing, I love minim, but this is terrible.
Reply #4 - May 13th, 2009, 1:32pm

I'm having the same problem. Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround? Is there another library that can handle playing sound effect clips quickly and in rapid succession better than Minim can?
Reply #5 - May 19th, 2009, 4:04am

i contacted the dev when i had similar problem. the issue is known, there is no fix. you can try increasing samplerate, in some cases it fixes the issue. when you try retriggering very repeatedly you'll always run into click and pop problems persisting in the audible buffer. i bypassed this by using the player in loop mode only.

and yes its defnitly annoying and a proper solution or new sound library would defnitly be welcome. but its java based. and getting a proper sound lib in java seems to still mean shooting yourself in the foot with a shotgun. even in 2009. Angry
Reply #6 - May 19th, 2009, 4:09am

you can try sonia instead.
http://sonia.pitaru.com/
but i heard it sometimes b0rks with playing mp3s. and it requires jsyn, which can be annoying when you're passing an applet to someone who doesnt have it installed.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1