We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentCore,  Processing Development Environment (PDE) › Running Processing from a Memory Stick
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Running Processing from a Memory Stick? (Read 3398 times)
Running Processing from a Memory Stick?
Jan 29th, 2009, 10:36am

is it possible to run Processing from a Memory Stick without having to install it to the PC? I would like to use the IDE whilst at work, but the firewall prevents installation. Can I run it from a memory stick to overcome this?
Re: Running Processing from a Memory Stick?
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2009, 6:00pm

You don't tell us which system will host the stick...

Processing for Windows comes with a simple Zip file. There is no installation. If you unzip the folders to the stick, it should work without problem, it doesn't write on the stick but it will create a folder (with preferences.txt) in the Application Data folder of the current user (and perhaps set some registry settings to associate .pde to the exe).

For other systems, I don't know, perhaps it is more problematic on Macs. Although you can try and copy an installation folder from another PC to the stick.
Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2009, 2:17pm

Sorry yes. I am a Mac user, but the systems at work are PC's running XP.

In that case I will give that a try and see if it works.
Is the preferences.txt file essential and can it be migrated to the stick instead? These systems will not allow folder creation so if it is i'm stuffed.
Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2009, 11:42pm

The machine also has to have Java installed to run Processing.
I'm guessing there is some system variable or registry entry that must be set, but I am not sure.

I actually started using Netbeans because I was able to run all of it (including Java) off a stick.
Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2009, 12:24am

NoahBuddy wrote on Feb 23rd, 2009, 11:42pm:
The machine also has to have Java installed to run Processing.
I'm guessing there is some system variable or registry entry that must be set, but I am not sure.

No, that's not correct. PhiLho was right in stating that it's simply a matter of unpacking the zip file (the version that includes Java) and running it.

The only other issue is that it will write to your user folder (c:\Documents and Settings\...), unless you alter lib/preferences.txt to alter the default paths. (I've explained that more in other posts by people how to make a truly standalone version.) But that should not be an issue in this case, since it's just the installation that's being prevented.

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2009, 6:42am

Really?

It was a no go on an XP system at work. Maybe its just my luck, since I can't log in to the forum at home. :/

I guess I'll have to try it again.
Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2009, 5:06pm

NoahBuddy wrote on Feb 24th, 2009, 6:42am:
Really

Yes, ever since the very first alpha release of Processing. Zero installation is a significant and important requirement of the project.

If that's not the case on your machine, please file a bug, and see if you can find any clues as to what might be going wrong on your system.
Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2009, 9:52pm

I probably didn't copy everything I needed as I took it off of another computer. I'll try again when I am at that terminal again.

Thanks.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1