We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Comparing/cooperating with JavaFX
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Comparing/cooperating with JavaFX? (Read 815 times)
Comparing/cooperating with JavaFX?
Jan 27th, 2009, 9:18am

Hi!

I have been wondering about the parallel between Processing and JavaFX and if there are any touching points, cooperating and more. I wrote up a small blog post to sum up my questions here and will relay these to the JavaFX community as well as here.

http://www.mosabuam.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=281

Any answers?
Re: Comparing/cooperating with JavaFX?
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2009, 10:45am

Interesting. Recently I started to learn JavaFX, partly because they might use it at my work, mostly because it looks like a good convergence of Java and graphics, so it can only interest me!

Some of your questions:
- Why did Sun not adopt Processing?
Who know? Apparently they wanted to break from Java syntax and to have native support for binding and animation.
- What's the roadmap for JavaFX licensing?
Despite some shadow corners, the JavaFX team is quite clear that, at least by using the JFX SDK, licensing of resulting programs is free, like when using Java.
- Could Processing gain by translating to JavaFX and then compiling rather than to Java?
Uh? I don't see why. Processing is very close of Java, I don't know why translating to a rather different language then back to Java would be interesting.
- What can they learn from each other?
At least in one field, the performance: they worked hard on Java to support hardware graphics acceleration, perhaps some of these would be beneficial.
On the other hand, I haven't seen yet in JavaFX any support of pixel level drawing, only vector drawing.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1