We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › 3D Martin Attractor explorer
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
3D Martin Attractor explorer (Read 2390 times)
3D Martin Attractor explorer
Jan 14th, 2009, 9:01pm

Like a lot of people I've been playing with fractals to learn Processing. Ferns, carpets, sieves etc etc. Then I discovered the deceptively simple Martin attractor. It's a 2D function but I came up with a 3D form that may be a little repetitive but nonetheless quite beautiful.

There are a number of keystrokes (described on the page) to control automatic rotation, expansion/contraction etc. I  incorporated the  Arcball library to allow full mouse control.

A single variable allows the code to run in Application mode (fullscreen) and with screen-capture.

Let me know what you think.

Tim

http://timcor.googlepages.com/index.html

Re: First Sketch - another fractal explorer
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2009, 1:23am

that was amazing.
Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2009, 3:45am

holy cow that's novel.  I don't think I've ever seen a 3d version of a fractal generator.  very awesome indeed.
Reply #3 - Jan 15th, 2009, 7:35am

Thanks... I'm glad you like it. I'm working on it still but this was a lot of fun and a good learning experience.

Tim
Re: 3D Martin Attractor explorer
Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2009, 3:45am

luv yer work...

tried running locally, and got error message.

The package "com.processinghacks" does not exist. you might be missing a library.

could you point me at where to get it...?

...william.o.yates...spamware.at.tru2life.net...tru2life.info...
Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2009, 6:15pm

Jeez I'm sorry I missed your question. I gave up on getting more feedback and stopped checking.

Anyway the missing library is "arcball" as described in the sourcecode header. You should be able to find it here (remove spaces):

ht tp://proce ssing.org/ha cks/hacks:arcball

Again, thanks for the nice comments.
Tim
Reply #6 - Jul 4th, 2009, 8:59am

wow, that's a beautiful attractor and demo!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1