We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Processing 1.0.1 won't open for me
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing 1.0.1 won't open for me (Read 936 times)
Processing 1.0.1 won't open for me
Jan 14th, 2009, 5:47am

Hi. I'm new to Processing, and I recently downloaded the program for use with my Arduino.

When I try to open processing.exe, however, it starts it up and I see the splash screen, but it immediately closes.

I have been on the troubleshooting section and tried almost everything under "Processing won't start! Nothing happens when I click “Run”!" I downloaded the "with Java" version, have the US English version of Windows XP, tried deleting preferences.txt within Application Data, and checked my CLASSPATH variable. It says "Some graphics cards have conflicts..." and I have an NVIDIA Geforce Go 6150, so if anyone knows any issues with this graphics card, please tell me. It also says to "try disabling any overly protective virus scanning software," and I use AVG free because I have never had problems with it. I have tried disabling AVG, but processing still doesn't open.

Using this page:
http://processing.org/reference/environment/platforms.html#windows

I ran processing using the command prompt using
processing.exe --l4j-debug and I am pointed to post here in the discourse section.

In my launch4j.log file, this are the results I get:
CmdLine: C:\processing-1.0.1\processing.exe --l4j-debug
WOW64: no
Working dir: C:\processing-1.0.1\.
Bundled JRE: java
Check launcher: C:\processing-1.0.1\java\bin\javaw.exe (OK)
Add classpath: lib\pde.jar
Add classpath: lib\core.jar
Add classpath: lib\jna.jar
Add classpath: lib\ecj.jar
Add classpath: lib\antlr.jar
Launcher: C:\processing-1.0.1\java\bin\javaw.exe
Launcher args:
-Xms128m -Xmx128m -classpath "lib;C:\processing-1.0.1\java\lib\tools.jar;lib\pde.jar;lib\core.jar;lib\jna.jar
;lib\ecj.jar;lib\antlr.jar" processing.app.Base
Args length: 156/32768 chars
Exit code: 1

I have no idea what to do now. Is there anything I can do to get processing up and running?
Re: Processing 1.0.1 won't open for me
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2009, 12:02am

Hello there!

I have the same problem with processing.exe (ver. 1.0.1). It doesn't start, but simply shows splash screen for couple of seconds. I use WinXP/SP2, there's no non-english symbols in username, and no conflicts with graphics card (GF6600). Virus scanner was turned off. JRE is not installed (using provided one). CLASSPATH is seems to be OK too (it points to one directory with only english characters in it's name).

launch4j.log file is exactly like one provided by metayoshi (except the path to processing directory).

Is there any solution to start processing? As for me, it's very interesting piece of magic Smiley (sorry for probably bad english)
Re: Processing 1.0.1 won't open for me
Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2009, 1:10pm

I had this problem in 1.0, but it was fixed with 1.0.1, made precisely to address this bug (at least).
See http://dev.processing.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=986 for details, perhaps some messages might help...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1