We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Attractors and Fractals
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Attractors and Fractals (Read 1570 times)
Attractors and Fractals
Jan 12th, 2009, 10:18pm

Hi All,

I recently coded up a Processing applet for playing around with fractals/attractors in real time:

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~phlosoft/attractors/

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

-Grant
Re: Attractors and Fractals
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2009, 10:51pm

*Any* feedback?

How about awesome? Smiley
Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2009, 11:50pm

Yeh, that is really sweet.  I've been wanting to learn about them, so being able to interact is a great thing.  Cheers!
Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2009, 5:40am

I have nothing to say more than this is awesome, and thanks!
Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2009, 4:21pm

Real nice and usefull. Thanks a lot Smiley

I added this to mousebutton to save

String fileName = "fract";
int fileNumber = 0;
void mousePressed(){
 if (mouseButton == CENTER) img.save(fileName + fileNumber++ + ".jpg");

It's really pretty but was wondering, is there a way to antialiase it? Some areas get edgy..

back to playing with it..
Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2009, 5:52pm

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

The simplest way to anti-alias is to render at higher resolution and scale down the final result.  This requires more than the default 1 million iterations to get the same density (and the brightness will still decrease since you're averaging in blackness at the edges to make them less edgy -- and nearly everything is an edge).

So, for example, the two lines you'd change are near the top:

int N = 1024, u, v;     //Resolution - up from 512
int nrSamples = 4000000;     //Iterations - up from 1000000

Then just save the image and use your favorite image editor to scale it back down.  You can render these things at infinitely high resolution, so go crazy :)
Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2009, 5:57pm

great stuff. and thanks so much for the detailed commenting; it helps us novices to see what's doing what.
Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2009, 6:45am

very cool.
so quick. making freaky harmonic pictures in a moment. i like the little points that are building up like preview. i don't understand the code but maybe i haven read it long enough. i give up very quickly with other codes ;(. because the little points in the time i love the thing that there might be very little small chaotic processes which let emerge this stable atractor and think of little organic or physical stuff.
Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2009, 12:01pm

nice sketch.  thanks for sharing Wink
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1