We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Molecular Visualization through Processing
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Molecular Visualization through Processing? (Read 745 times)
Molecular Visualization through Processing?
Jan 8th, 2009, 7:14pm

Hello-

I am working on a film project that requires molecule animations. My plan is to customize a visualization program in processing or the eclipse workbench in order to generate quicktime animations. I was wondering if anyone was familiar in the area? A couple of things on my mind:

• Are there any molecular visualization tools based on the processing programming language?
• Is there a preferred data format, and preferred source, for importing molecular data sets into processing?

Any thoughts? Also, if you know of anyone doing cutting edge molecular visualizations or teaching about molecular visualization, I would love to get in touch with them.

Thanks for any help! It's greatly appreciated.
Re: Molecular Visualization through Processing?
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2009, 12:30am

on the jogl website (java opengl), if you scroll to the bottom of the page you will see a couple different java-based openGL programs that are useful for molecular "stuff".

im not sure if they are open-source, but it doesnt hurt to see whats goin on...

also, not sure if youve ever seen the canadian show "ReGenesis". they do molecular viz on that show all the time. you can see all 3 seasons on hulu dot com. the beginning credits has some cool molecular viz in it too (better than fringe anyway).

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1