We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
javaw.exe (Read 2449 times)
javaw.exe
Dec 31st, 2008, 3:52pm

sorry if this is the wrong place!
when i try to run an exported windows application (on windows xp, with processing 1.0.1) i get an error message: "windows doesn't find javaw.exe....."
what should i do?
Re: javaw.exe
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2008, 3:54pm

Install a JRE perhaps? You have one with Processing, but if you don't have one installed on Windows, you cannot run Java programs (and applets).
Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2009, 2:56pm

i have installed processing 1.0.1 WITH java, so i think i got a jre.
maybe my problem i related to some wrong classpath or something due to the respective locations of the applets and jre on my hard-drives?
Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2009, 5:03pm

That's what I wrote: you have a JRE coming with Processing, but it isn't installed. It is just unzipped and Processing know how to find it, but Windows isn't aware of its existence: it is neither in the path nor in the classpath, etc.
On the other hand, when you install Sun's JRE, it sets stuff in registry, creates a CLASSPATH environment variable, changes the PATH, registers to detected Web browsers, etc.
If you don't want to install another JRE, which I can undertand (they are not small!), hit WinKey+Pause, in the System Properties that appear go to Advanced tab, click on Environment variables button at the bottom. On the System variables list, click on PATH and edit it. Add the path to your JRE, where the javaw.exe exists, eg. C:\Java\Processing\java\bin;
Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2009, 12:45pm

thank you very much for your help!
something i yet do not understand:
when i click on "path" i get the following:
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Fichiers communs\Adobe\AGL;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static

am i suppose to copy all this to the javaw.exe in the java/bin?
maybe is it just that i do not know how to modify a path?
can you help me a bit more?
thanks!
Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2009, 1:32pm

Just add the path to your javaw.exe at the end. So it should look like:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program  Files\Fichiers communs\Adobe\AGL;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Processing\java\bin

the last path depending, of course, of where you have unzipped Processing.
Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2009, 6:36pm

i am sorry another dumb question:
to add the path to javaw.exe do i open it with the notepad and just copy-and-paste the path?
thanks!
Reply #7 - Jan 3rd, 2009, 4:59pm

Maybe there is a (English) language issue here (I am French!).
By "add the path to javaw.exe", I don't mean to add it to javaw, I mean to add to the PATH variable (in the System variables list) the path "of" the file javaw.exe.
Click Edit, go to second field (where you copied your path), hit End key to go to end and type ; and the path (which you can have copied in the Address bar of Windows Explorer).
Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2009, 9:22am

c'est trop drole, moi aussi je suis francais (rochefort 17)!
je crois que j'ai compris. je vais essayer; merci!

it's too funny, i am french too!
i think i understood, i am going to try. thanks!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1