We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Pixel shower
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Pixel shower (Read 2622 times)
Pixel shower
Dec 22nd, 2008, 8:13pm

Hi all,

Check out my first sketch with processing.

Pixel Snow: http://julianvidal.com/X/processing/snow5/

This is the original version which I did many years ago in Flash: http://julianvidal.com/X/snow/snow_v2.html Smiley
Re: Pixel shower
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2008, 4:32am

Fun!  That's great.  Thanks for sharing.
Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2008, 7:03am

Hey, this is a lot like Falling Sand Game but with much improved performance. Nice work!
Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2008, 9:18am

Very rich implementation! I played with it a lot of time. My suggestion is to implement color management to make it the perfect pixel shower application.
Reply #4 - Dec 24th, 2008, 2:46am

cool~
Reply #5 - Dec 24th, 2008, 8:42am

that almost stole my morning away till i was called for breakfast.

fun!
Reply #6 - Dec 24th, 2008, 6:48pm

Hey everyone, thanks for the comments.!

While coding this I wasted SO MUCH TIME playing with it...

Quote:
Very rich implementation! I played with it a lot of time. My suggestion is to implement color management to make it the perfect pixel shower application.

Yeah, color is pretty bad in this sketch. How would you suggest I implement this? What kind of things would you like to see?

Quote:
Hey, this is a lot like Falling Sand Game but with much improved performance. Nice work!

Thanks! I guess performance could be quite better but I'm not smart enought! haha You know, the way I did it in Flash was have each snow flake be an object that had it's own velocity and collisions were handled by flash. In Processing I'm using pixels[] and once a pixel moves I can't keep track of it individually. I wonder if Processing could handle a Pixel class that would enable me to make each pixel individual. That way I could change sizes, colors, add wind, friction, etc. I could make "generators" directionals and enable the user to point them in any direction! That would be cool...

Anyways... thanks for the comments, and if you have any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them!

Merry Christmas!
Reply #7 - Dec 26th, 2008, 6:44pm

Lovely piece of work..

I just found myself wanting a wind effect
that adds some turbulence to the snow Smiley

.rex
Reply #8 - Dec 26th, 2008, 8:17pm

Yeah, I'm working on that. It's going to be a while, since I'm swapped with work, though Sad
Reply #9 - Dec 29th, 2008, 11:59am

wazoo wrote on Dec 24th, 2008, 6:48pm:
Yeah, color is pretty bad in this sketch. How would you suggest I implement this What kind of things would you like to see

IMHO simply implement 2 color picker, one for snow an on for drawings. Let the changes in colors be "cumulative" ( not change what is already on screen but will change what's next). Bye
Reply #10 - Dec 29th, 2008, 4:12pm

yea... and perhaps as the turbulence hits some of the snow should fade off... surreal, isn't it Smiley

rexguo wrote on Dec 26th, 2008, 6:44pm:
Lovely piece of work..

I just found myself wanting a wind effect
that adds some turbulence to the snow Smiley

.rex

Reply #11 - Jan 2nd, 2009, 8:11pm

I'm having a little bit of trouble with the new version of the pixel snow... plus there is so much that you can do with processing that I'm getting side tracked very easily...

The pixel snow turned into this pretty quickly:

http://www.julianvidal.com/X/processing/gravity3/

Hold the mouse button to control the... hmm.. thing, or just release and watch. It runs pretty much on its own.

r key to reset.

For this kind of thing, the difference between the default renderer and the P2D is just amazing...
Reply #12 - Jan 11th, 2009, 2:36am

Wow, "Gravity 3" is quite impressive. The Pixel Snow sketch is pretty cool also. Keep churning out the good stuff!
Reply #13 - Jan 12th, 2009, 3:57am

W-O-W

That gravity3 sketch is awesome.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1