We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › windows equivalent of console log
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
windows equivalent of console log? (Read 256 times)
windows equivalent of console log?
Dec 17th, 2008, 3:03pm

on mac when using 'println()', it prints to the console (of course) and also to a log file that is easily accessible using the Console app. (meaning you can also use it for debugging applications exported from processing).

what's the windows equivalent? i've tried enabling java's console in the java control panel, but that just seems to enable access to java in a web browser. in windows, how do i see the entire java log?

thanks...
Re: windows equivalent of console log?
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2008, 4:04pm

On Windows, Processing uses a lot the temp dir. On XP, I found it at C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Temp\
I launched PDE and saw an untitled1963.tmp folder created (with an empty sketch folder holding an empty sketch file).
I loaded a sketch and ran it, I saw build1965.tmp created (holding the .java and corresponding .class files) then console1964.tmp folder, with two files: stderr.txt (empty) and stdout.txt.
The latter has the println output in it.

Note: it is a good idea to clean up these files from time to time, after a while they can cumulate a lot!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1