We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › promidi 2.0 pattern insertion problem
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
promidi 2.0 pattern insertion problem (Read 376 times)
promidi 2.0 pattern insertion problem
Dec 13th, 2008, 3:28pm

I've made some patterns in promidi so that I could insert them into a track multiple times, but I'm getting some problems. Quantization on both track and pattern is set to 1/8.

If I do:

arptrack.addPattern(verseArpPattern, 0);

then everything works fine. If, however, I do:

arptrack.addPattern(verseArpPattern, 8);

then things start getting screwy. The pattern is inserted in the track at 1 bar from the start, but the first bar of the pattern is missing. To make things clearer:

example pattern (where each letter represents one bar):
myPattern = A B C D E D C B

doing:
myTrack.addPattern(myPattern, 0);
gives:
myTrack = A B C D E D C B

doing:
myTrack.addPattern(myPattern, 8);
gives:
myTrack = - B C D E D C B

doing:
myTrack.addPattern(myPattern, 32);
gives:
myTrack = - - - - E D C B

Basically, it seems to be inserting the pattern at the right point (ie X steps in), but the start of the pattern insertion is moved X steps, too. Anyone else experienced this? Its a pain because it means that patterns cannot be used for what they are described as :/
Re: promidi 2.0 pattern insertion problem
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2008, 3:48pm

On further investigation, the length of the track increases correctly, it is just the position of the events inside the track which is broken. Instead of the first event being at the point of insertion into the track, it is always at 0.

I've had a quick look at the promidi source, but I can't figure out whats going on to cause this.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1