We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Applet Export to single jar file vs. multiple jars
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Applet Export to single jar file vs. multiple jars (Read 558 times)
Applet Export to single jar file vs. multiple jars
Dec 8th, 2008, 7:28pm

Hi everyone,

i'm new to this forum and sure my first post is motivated by a question i have. My name is Paul and i started using processing some weeks ago and already fell in love with it Wink Great work!

I wrote an application using some Libraries (ControlP5, traer.physics, Flickrj, pdf ...) which works fine using processing version 0156 on Mac OS X 10.5

When i try to export it as an applet i always get multiple jars no matter what i choose in the processing preferences.
Since i use external data sources (e.g. flickr)  i need to sign every single jar everytime i export a new version which gets pretty annoying.

I was also playing around with a simple "hello world" applet importing different libraries to see why this might happen. As soon as i import any Library (Core or external) i cannot export the Applet as one single jar file.

What am i missing?
Btw: i have placed all (external) Libraries into the Processing Directory - not into the sketchfolder.

Thanks for for answers! Hope i can contribute something  as well in the future.

Cheers,
Paul
Re: Applet Export to single jar file vs. multiple
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2008, 11:27pm

Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2008, 12:18pm

thanks for the link PhiLho.

fry wrote: "No, when libraries are in use, we need to use separate JAR files anyway, so the setting is ignored."

So thats the default behaviour of processing. Nevertheless i'd like to produce one single (big) .jar for deployment on a website.
This might be a basic Java question, but i havent looked into the details of how Processing creates the applet. Can you give me some hint on how to get this done?

thanks,
paul
Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2008, 1:14pm

A jar is just a zip file with another name (and a manifest folder).
You can expand all jars in the same directory and compress them back into a unique jar. I haven't tried, but I don't see an issue with this method...
Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2008, 11:10am

thanks again PhiLo.

I will give Eclipse + fatjar a try for this processing app, since i dont want to do this manually everytime.

Cheers,
Paul
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1