We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › duplicate nested type error
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
duplicate nested type error (Read 4272 times)
duplicate nested type error
Dec 8th, 2008, 1:20pm

what does the duplicate nested type error mean?

I've been staring at my code for an hour now and I can't seem to find where I go wrong but I keep getting this error.

grrrr... somebody enlighten me?
Re: duplicate nested type error
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2008, 2:03pm

I never saw this error. Either google for it or give the wrong line with a bit of context.
Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2008, 2:17pm

Couldn't find any clear explination with google but I solved it anyhow. I don't know what it was, but I just copied all of my code and classes into a new sketch and now everything works just fine.

weird...

thanks anyway!
Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2008, 11:47pm

Just had this error myself. Couldn't find any info on it either. Saving the sketch under a new name, quitting proccesing (1.0) and reopening seems to have fixed it.
Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2008, 11:52am

Come to think of it, might be strongly tied to the problem in this thread: Hiding enclosing type

Basically, you probably define a class inside a sketch of same name as your class.
Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2009, 6:02pm

Same wrong issue, same fix

save & quit proccesing (1.0) and reopening seems to have fixed it.
Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2009, 5:31am

Hi,

Same problem just bit me: "duplicate nested type Line" with Line being the name of my class which was stored in a separate tab/PDE than the main setup() and associated routines.

Shut down Processing, restarted Processing, error disappears and code runs fine.

Reply #7 - Dec 23rd, 2009, 10:01am

Same issue, same solution.

I had been playing around with classes.  Had just deleted a class.  Think processing forgot to update something internally.

daniel
Reply #8 - Mar 9th, 2010, 5:31pm

Just had the same problem, same fix, but I noticed that when I pressed the arrow at the upper right, the little tab menu, one of the tabs was listed twice so it read:

Main
Class 1
Class 2
Class 2

this happened right after I deleted a tab, so it does sound like something isn't being updated.
Reply #9 - May 31st, 2010, 9:51pm

Seconded, I got this issue in 1.07 after removing a tab.  I was only able to identify the problem by exporting it to a single .java file and manually examining it.  Saving it as a new project did not resolve the problem, but restarting Processing did.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1