We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsWebsite,  Documentation,  Book Bugs › mask() not listed in reference's table of contents
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
mask() not listed in reference's table of contents (Read 1245 times)
mask() not listed in reference's table of contents
Dec 8th, 2008, 5:51am

The website will find it if I right-click on the word "mask" in my code and select "Find in Reference", but mask() isn't listed on any of the table of contents pages (Abridged, Extended, nor either alphabetical listing.)

Re: mask() not listed in reference's table of cont
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2008, 12:34pm

Somewhere else in this forum, one of the authors (REAS IIRC) said, with reason, that the reference listing is quite long, so they put there only the standalone functions (and classes).

mask() is, actually, somePImageObject.mask(). So it is listed in the PImage page. There are a number of other classes with specific methods not listed in the reference, only in the class' page.

Funnily, I have been bitten by that myself, in blend intensity where someone mentioned mask() and I wasn't able to find it...

Not sure what is the right way of handling this (compromise between size of page/manageability and completeness): a super-complete page A secondary page listing all methods of classes not listed in the current reference
Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2008, 7:01pm

Thanks PhiLho. We could try to expand out the methods and fields in the extended reference. I think I'd need to see it to know. I think it would be a mistake to make the Abridged reference any longer, though. Other opinions?
Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2008, 3:32pm

I have no dogmatic opinion there... Happy
I never go to the Abridged reference and indeed I am not sure it is really useful.
At "worse", you might define two classes (styles) of links: regular and advanced/extended, so beginners skimming the reference might skip visually "scary" functions.
And perhaps a "super-advanced" class for methods...

I like how the reference page is currently structured, and the fact I can switch to alphabetical listing, although I rarely do that, I prefer to rely on the incremental find feature of Firefox.
Actually, I was thinking making a Greasemonkey script like the Javadoc incremental search (but simpler!), possibly finding a solution to integrate it to the official page (has to be more portable across browsers, of course).

Maybe you can make the current extended reference the "abridged" one, and the page with all (most, for official Java classes) methods the new "extended" one.

I only provide thoughts/ideas, I leave to you the delicate task of making the choices! Wink
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1