We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Processing and SVN
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing and SVN? (Read 861 times)
Processing and SVN?
Dec 4th, 2008, 10:17am

During a design project, my work follows multiple trajectories and many iterations. For the past few months, I've been using SVN to archive and annotate sketches over time. I find that text annotations on commits aren't rich enough to capture the subtle nuances that comprise a visual, motion, or interaction design.

So I wonder what people here are using to archive and document your sketches, and, if you happen to be using svn or a source control system, have you come up with hacks to help browse a source control timeline visually?
Re: Processing and SVN?
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2008, 12:03am

i started to use svn recently for flashdevelopment. nice stuff.
but it's a huge problem that no matter how good or bad i name my processing-scetches, it does not tell me much about it's visual content.
i have started to archive and store my code in gmail. for each scetch i'll have a mail with lots of tags in the subject for searching it and some images to have a preview at hand. also i put in links to flickr or vimeo if there is output that shows a variety of possible output from a scetch.  it's simple but very effective. i can search for something specific, or something like "opengl particles grow flocking" and i get what i need, on whatever computer i am etc.
if someone asks for a scetch like xy, all i need is to copypaste xy into the gmail searchfield, and reply with the result.
i also do this with my actionscript, vvvv-patches etc.
besides that, all those type of mails get forwarded to another mail for secure backup. if, oneday, something very bad happens and all my things crappity smack up, i can get a new machine and continue where i was before in 10 minutes.
Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2008, 10:28am

One could start an open source plugin for subversion where you can host images in lieu of text logs for commits...?
Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2008, 8:14am

Gentlemen, thanks so much for your thoughtful responses.

Lenny, it's funny: I first began thinking about this problem earlier this year when you posted that screenshot of your processing sketches folder(s) on flickr. I think you titled it "bad habits"? I feel that sketching in software is an inherently messy, organic process. We shouldn't have to adapt our behavior to suit the tool; how can we shape the tools we use to suit the creative process?

Michael, totally. It seems like there would be an audience for this type of thing. Would anyone be interested in collaborating on such a project?
Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2008, 11:17am

Hi vellum,
I came back to this forum this morning EXACTLY to ask your questions Smiley
I like this kind of event Smiley

Like you, I'd like to use a svn but not basically sourceforge or another google code..
Indeed, I'd like to organize/manage my projects, even with a timeline to see what I did and when .. but not with a full sharing mind (because it only interests us, developers, during our coding sessions ; I don't want to say that I don't want to share my code ! you understood)

Vellum, did you find your way?
I got a fedora 10 ultra boosted at home and I could use it for my own work.. I'd prefer to use a distributed system...
more safe Wink

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1