We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpProcessing Implementations › Ruby-Processing goes 1.0
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Ruby-Processing goes 1.0 (Read 2398 times)
Ruby-Processing goes 1.0
Dec 3rd, 2008, 3:52pm

Ruby-Processing is now out with Processing 1.0.1 and the latest JRuby trunk. The speed of most sketches has dramatically improved, thanks to the hard work from the JRuby and Processing teams over the last 6 months.

As always, you can find it here: http://github.com/jashkenas/ruby-processing/wikis
Re: Ruby-Processing goes 1.0
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2008, 5:27pm

I've been working on translating the Learning Processing examples, and I must say that Ruby-Processing is (at least to me) considerably easier to work with in lots of small ways.

The only issues I've run into so far is that a few things are not totally direct (at least to a beginner like me), such as how constrain and mousePressed work.  I'd be happy to expound if anyone's interested, and I hope we can get a dialog going here.

Thanks again to jashkenas for all of his hard work, and of course to the jruby and processing developers.  It's an amazing time to be learning programming.
Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2008, 5:05am

I've also started work on porting over the examples from the new "Learning Processing" book to Ruby-Processing. They live in the samples folder. If anyone here feels like helping out with that, please fork the project on Github and port away.
Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2008, 7:27pm

I submitted a few more examples from Learning Processing (which is really a nice book) that have been converted from processing to ruby-processing.

I'm very enthusiastic about the project; the change in usability/readability to a novice is (in my opinion) huge.  This is what I was looking for when I started playing with processing.
Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2008, 2:46am

Hey, excited to hear about this!  Where can I check out / download the converted examples?
Reply #5 - Dec 9th, 2008, 6:14am

Hi shiffman.

The learning processing examples are in the samples/learning_processing folder ... You can download the project code at GitHub; the link at the top of the page will do.

— omygawshkenas

ps. I'm living in New York, if you ever feel like meeting up and talking about the project.
Reply #6 - Dec 11th, 2008, 4:46am

Great, I would love to meet up at some point and hear more about Ruby Processing.  I will have some time after the fall semester is over. . and feel free to come by the ITP show!

http://itp.nyu.edu/shows/winter2008/
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1