We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionEvents,  Publications,  Opportunities › calling all scientists
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
calling all scientists (Read 1081 times)
calling all scientists
Dec 1st, 2008, 10:21pm

hello,
This is an invitation for other folks using Processing as a tool in natural-science research to introduce themselves on this thread so we can get an informal user group started.

I'm an oceanographic modeler in Seattle, and I'm increasingly using Processing both for making interactive teaching/collaboration tools and also for cranking through numerically intensive model computations. (A few of the interactive projects are on my website below; the intensive stuff hasn't made it to the web yet.) I've met a couple of other scientists with similar goals and technical problems--I'm hoping to find a minimum-effort way to assemble a list of scientific users for discussion, problem-solving, code-sharing, etc. So say hello below if you're interested, and we'll go from there!

cheers,
Neil

http://coast.ocean.washington.edu/~neil/
Re: calling all scientists
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2008, 10:53pm

I use Processing as a prototyping tool for interactive Bioinformatics data visualization.
Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2008, 10:06pm

I use processing for some simple scientific visualizations.  I made a program that added two waves (to look at group speed, and other things like that) that impressed a class full of students.

I would like to know if there are any mathematical tools: a Runge-Kutta solver, tri-diagonal solvers, or things like that that can be used in Processing.  Any ideas?
Reply #3 - Dec 11th, 2008, 3:19pm

I am using Processing for the (fun) visualization of large physical data sets.
@sw01: I wold be interested to have a look on that if it swirls through the web somewhere
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1