We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Netbeans cannot find symbol
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Netbeans cannot find symbol (Read 764 times)
Netbeans cannot find symbol
Nov 25th, 2008, 11:46pm

Hi,

Just found Processing, loving it.  Needed to move to a more developed IDE, chose Netbeans.  Had 'cannot find symbol' for color, read it's an int, sorted.  Now have 'cannot find symbol' for stroke, rect, fill, loadFont, textFont, text, floor, sqrt!  But am fine with eg noStroke, line, box.  Any pointers?  Thanks.
Re: Netbeans cannot find symbol
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2008, 8:27am

Can you share/post your NetBeans project configuration somewhere (seems attachments aren't allowed in this board...)? Would like to have a closer look before providing any diagnostics... Smiley
Cheers,
Kristian
Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2008, 3:35pm

Did you read the tutorial about using Processing in Eclipse \ Processing 1.0 Some of it should apply to NetBeans as well, like the need for the classes to extend PApplet, and of course setting the right classpath.
Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2008, 2:48am

Thanks for your help.  That Eclipse tut held the answer.  At first I thought "Doh!  I'm supposed to extend all classes with PApplet!  Twit!"  But that only got rid of the squiggly red lines, the program still didn't run.  The Eclipse tut explains not to extend all classes with PApplet, but to initialize the parent PApplet in the constructors of other classes.  Haven't actually tried it yet, but makes perfect sense.
Thanks again.
Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2008, 3:26pm

Yes, perhaps I was a bit misleading. By "need for the classes to extend PApplet", I was thinking of the main sketch classes, not the subclasses, of course.
Not all classes need the PApplet instance either, if they don't do graphics, for example, or they might use static functions like PApplet.hex() or PApplet.lerp().
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1