We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOpenGL and 3D Libraries › Mapping projection to angled screen
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Mapping projection to angled screen (Read 4759 times)
Mapping projection to angled screen
Nov 24th, 2008, 1:35pm

I am trying to figure out the best way to map projected images to a screen placed at slight (~5-10 degree) angle to the projector. I hope to be able to project onto multiple flat but angled screens from the same sketch (using a Mac Pro with two attached projectors and one long, multi-screen sketch the graphics will be blobs pulled from camera streams using OpenCV).

The basic effect I'm looking for is something like this: http://www.vimeo.com/806183 - I even took a look at OpenFrameworks to take advantage of that code, but I don't have long to get moving and I'm comfortable in Processing.

For speed using OpenGL seems like a good bet. I have tried two approaches with some success, but neither is quite right yet:

1) Apply the video data as a texture to a single OpenGL quad in a flat Z plane (ie using it as a 2D shape) with the vertices placed to match the corners of the screen in the projected image.

This seems like it would be a great and simple to calibrate solution, if only I could get the texture to map ok. I am experiencing the problem described here https://developer.sonyericsson.com/site/global/techsupport/tipstrickscode/java/p
_java_0801.jsp

My next step is to try mapping to multiple triangles (or one triangle strip). However I haven't figured out how to calculate the U, V texture coordinates on the fly as the corners of the screen surface are adjusted.

2) use a quad with parallel sides to avoid the texture mapping flaws and then manually shift/rotate the quad in 3D space to map projection to screen.

This seems to work ok, at least the texture looks good. The problem is that it's extremely counter-intuitive to try and get the right position to map to the screen, tonnes of trial and error and I'm still not sure if all screen shapes/positions in my setup can be accommodated this way.

Hopefully this is clear, I'm brand-new to OpenGL and still getting a grip on it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, OpenGL based or not. I'm surprised that I haven't been able to find examples in Processing, this seems like a common VJ trick so I'm sure someone is doing it.

Thank you, Patrick
Re: Mapping projection to angled screen
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2008, 2:16pm

Hi, you can't use the 'render to texture then map to single quad' approach as you will get severe texture distortion. You need to render to texture then map to a grid, and position all vertices of the grid to avoid the distortion.

I've written a GLSL shader to do quad warping and the necessary deformations on all vertices. It was originally for quad warping in Quartz Composer but with a little mod you can adapt it to your needs (you'd need to change the first line 'transform from QC coordinates to 0...1 ' to normalize from whatever coordinate system you have in place in processing (probably 0...width, 0...height).
You can get it here
http://www.memo.tv/projection_mapping_quad_warping_with_quartz_composer_vdmx

hope that helps!
Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2008, 3:14pm

Hi Memo
Cool, I came across your video as I was researching this (http://vimeo.com/2076022?pg=embed&sec=2076022). If I could recreate that in Processing it would be awesome.

Any pointers on how to to convert the code to Processing? Looking at your code I'm rather lost and I can't open the Quartz patch (I assume because I'm on Tiger).

Thank you, Patrick
Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2008, 3:24pm

Hi Patrick. Yea the QTZ is leopard only, but you shouldn't need to open it, you only need the GLSL code posted on my site. The code is GLSL and it is a vertex shader so you wouldn't need to convert that to processing, you'd use it straight up (in an external quadwarp.vert file). I'm a bit tied up at the moment but what you'd need to do is something along the lines of:

- Render all your graphics to an offscreen texture (using the GLGraphics library).
- Render your offscreen texture to the screen using the quadwarp vertex shader (again using the GLGraphics library).

Its been a while since I've used the GLGraphics library and cant remember off the top of my head, but I remember you can set in the xml file the grid resolution and it creates the grid mesh automatically for you. I'm guessing a grid resolution of around 10-20 should be good enough quality.

So basically you should look into using vertex shaders with the GLGraphics library, and then it should be quite straightforward...
Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2008, 12:05am

Thank you for your help Memo. It's appreciated and I am much closer that I was.

Using your GLSL approach I can apply my texture image to a quad and then warp it much more cleanly. However the geometry of the warping is not working as expected. There's a lot of code here, though I tried to cut it down to the minimum to show the problem I'm having.

I've been bashing my head against this for hours. I suspect that there may just be a simple problem that I'm missing as an OpenGL novice. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Complete sketch is online at http://hogtownconsulting.com/image_hosting/shadowd_dev.zip

I'm using JohnG's GLSL class (first response in the thread at http://processing.org/discourse/yabb_beta/YaBB.cgi?board=OpenGL;action=display;num=1159494801;) with one method of my own:

Code:

void setUniformValue2f(int uniformLocation, float v0, float v1) {

gl.glUniform2f(uniformLocation, v0, v1);

}

My quadwarp.vert file contains this:

Code:

uniform vec2 BL, BR, TL, TR;
uniform vec2 renderSize;

void main() {

// transform from Processing coords to 0...1
vec2 p = vec2(gl_Vertex.x/renderSize.x, gl_Vertex.y/renderSize.y);

// interpolate bottom edge x coordinate
vec2 x1 = mix(BL, BR, p.x);

// interpolate top edge x coordinate
vec2 x2 = mix(TL, TR, p.x);

// interpolate y position
p = mix(x1, x2, p.y);

// transform from 0...1 to Processing screen coords
p = vec2(p.x*renderSize.x, p.y*renderSize.y);

gl_Position
= gl_ModelViewProjectionMatrix * vec4(p, 0, 1);

gl_FrontColor
= gl_Color;

gl_TexCoord[0]
= gl_TextureMatrix[0] * gl_MultiTexCoord0;
}

And the sketch itself looks like this:

Code:

import javax.media.opengl.GL;
import javax.media.opengl.glu.GLU;
import com.sun.opengl.util.BufferUtil;
import java.nio.*;
import processing.opengl.PGraphicsOpenGL;
import processing.core.*;

GLSL glsl;
boolean shaderOn;
PGraphicsOpenGL pgl;
GL gl;
GLU glu = new GLU();

int texture;

PImage img;

void setup() {

size(800,600,OPENGL);

glsl = new GLSL();
glsl.loadVertexShader("data/quadwarp.vert");
glsl.useShaders();

img = loadImage("data/grid_256x256.jpg");

pgl = (PGraphicsOpenGL) g;
gl = pgl.gl;

gl.glShadeModel(GL.GL_SMOOTH); // Enable Smooth Shading
gl.glClearColor(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.5f); // Black Background
gl.glClearDepth(1.0f); // Depth Buffer Setup
gl.glEnable(GL.GL_DEPTH_TEST); // Enables Depth Testing

gl.glDepthFunc(GL.GL_LEQUAL);// The Type Of Depth Testing To Do

gl.glHint(GL.GL_PERSPECTIVE_CORRECTION_HINT, GL.GL_NICEST);
// Really Nice Perspective Calculations

gl.glEnable(GL.GL_TEXTURE_2D);
texture = genTexture(gl);
gl.glBindTexture(GL.GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture);
gl.glTexParameteri(GL.GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL.GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL.GL_LINEAR);
gl.glTexParameteri(GL.GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL.GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL.GL_LINEAR);
}

void draw() {
pgl.beginGL();

glsl.startShader();
glsl.setUniformValue2f(glsl.getUniformLocation("BL"), 0.0, 0.0);
glsl.setUniformValue2f(glsl.getUniformLocation("BR"), 1.0, 0.0);
glsl.setUniformValue2f(glsl.getUniformLocation("TL"), 0.25, 1.0);
glsl.setUniformValue2f(glsl.getUniformLocation("TR"), 1.0, 1.0);
glsl.setUniformValue2f(glsl.getUniformLocation("renderSize"), (float)width/2, (float)height);
gl.glTexImage2D(GL.GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL.GL_RGB, img.width, img.height, 0, GL.GL_RGB, GL.GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, getTextureByteBuffer( false ) );
gl.glClear(GL.GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL.GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);
gl.glLoadIdentity(); // Reset The View
gl.glScalef( 100, 100, 100);
gl.glTranslatef(0.0, 0.0, -5.0);
gl.glBindTexture(GL.GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture);

gl.glBegin(GL.GL_QUADS);
gl.glTexCoord2f(0,1);
gl.glVertex3f(0.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f); // Top Left Of The Texture and Quad

gl.glTexCoord2f(0,0);
gl.glVertex3f(0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f); // Bottom Left Of The Texture and Quad

gl.glTexCoord2f(1,0);
gl.glVertex3f( 1.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f); // Bottom Right Of The Texture and Quad

gl.glTexCoord2f(1,1);
gl.glVertex3f( 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f); // Top Right Of The Texture and Quad

gl.glEnd();
glsl.endShader();
pgl.endGL();
}

int genTexture(GL gl) {
final int[] tmp = new int[1];
gl.glGenTextures(1, tmp, 0);
return tmp[0];
}

ByteBuffer getTextureByteBuffer ( boolean useAlphaChannel ) {
int bytesPerPixel = useAlphaChannel ? 4 : 3;

ByteBuffer unpackedPixels = BufferUtil.newByteBuffer( img.pixels.length * bytesPerPixel );

for (int row = img.height - 1; row >= 0; row--) {
for (int col = 0; col < img.width; col++) {
int packedPixel = img.pixels[row * img.width + col];
unpackedPixels.put((byte) ((packedPixel >> 16) & 0xFF));
unpackedPixels.put((byte) ((packedPixel >> 8) & 0xFF));
unpackedPixels.put((byte) ((packedPixel >> 0) & 0xFF));
if ( useAlphaChannel ) {
unpackedPixels.put((byte) ((packedPixel >> 24) & 0xFF));
}
}
}
unpackedPixels.flip();

return unpackedPixels;
}
Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2008, 12:18am

Hey Patrick, your problem is that you are rendering your texture to a single quad, but you need to render to a much higher resolution grid, at least 10-20 segments by 10-20 segments. So in your gl.glBegin(GL.GL_QUADS); you need to create many quads and many vertices, and texture coordinates for each. I'm out now so can't post the code, but I'm sure you can find grid code online somewhere...
Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2008, 6:23pm

Not sure how I managed to miss the bit about grids in your instructions Memo. Now I'm applying the texture to a grid of quads (40x40 of them) rather than a single quad.

I am still getting exactly the same problem though. When I create a grid that forms a square the texture gets applied as expected. But once I warp the grid things stop working as expected. e.g. if I push the top-left corner of the textured grid to the right then the top-right corner also pushes to the right by the same amount (as shown in the image in my last post).

This is the code to create a grid of quads in place of the single quad I was using above:

Code:

int gridCols = 40;
int gridRows = 40;
float quadWidth = 1.0;
float quadHeight = 1.0;
float gridSquareWidth = quadWidth / (float)gridCols;
float gridSquareHeight = quadHeight / (float)gridRows;
float texXPerSquare = 1.0/gridCols;
float texYPerSquare = 1.0/gridRows;

gl.glBegin(GL.GL_QUADS);

for ( int row = 0; row < gridRows; row++ ) {
for ( int col = 0; col < gridCols; col++ ) {
gl.glTexCoord2f( 0.0+(float)col*texXPerSquare, 0.0+(float)(row+1)*texYPerSquare );
gl.glVertex3f((float)gridSquareWidth*col, (float)gridSquareHeight*(row+1), 1.0f);
// Top Left Of The Texture and Quad

gl.glTexCoord2f( 0.0+(float)col*texXPerSquare, 0.0+(float)row*texYPerSquare );
gl.glVertex3f((float)gridSquareWidth*col, (float)gridSquareHeight*row, 1.0f);
// Bottom Left Of The Texture and Quad

gl.glTexCoord2f( 0.0+(float)(col+1)*texXPerSquare, 0.0+(float)row*texYPerSquare );
gl.glVertex3f((float)gridSquareWidth*(col+1), (float)gridSquareHeight*row, 1.0f);
// Bottom Right Of The Texture and Quad

gl.glTexCoord2f( 0.0+(float)(col+1)*texXPerSquare, 0.0+(float)(row+1)*texYPerSquare );
gl.glVertex3f((float)gridSquareWidth*(col+1), (float)gridSquareHeight*(row+1), 1.0f);
// Top Right Of The Texture and Quad
}
}

gl.glEnd();

I have two ideas about what might be happening here:
1) I'm just not getting the concept properly, hence my code isn't working.
2) A possible issue with the GMA950 integrated video card in my Macbook, as Googling suggests it may not handle some parts of the GLSL spec properly. I don't have another machine to test on right now though so I can't say for sure.

Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2008, 6:30pm

I've put my latest code online in case anyone feels like poking through it:

http://hogtownconsulting.com/image_hosting/shadowd_dev-grid_version.zip
Reply #8 - Nov 28th, 2008, 12:18pm

I'm a processing newcomer (so shoot me down if this doesn't apply!), but shouldn't it be possible to map a texture to the grid 'square on' (i.e a single quad) and then simply use rotateY(angle) to produce the projection distortion?

In my small set of experiments, I seem to be getting a result which is close to your Photoshopped requirement...
Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2008, 12:56pm

Oops. Of course using rotate() doesn't apply since you're doing OpenGL stuff... Sorry Sad
Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2009, 6:58am

pdinnen, did you find a solution to your problem? I'm after something much similar to what you were trying to achieve. Would be great to get some pointers/help in warping/perspective correcting an image.
Reply #11 - Aug 4th, 2009, 7:02am

Hey, you are in luck!

I just wrote a little Processing library that does just what you need: (basically same technique as Memo's but directly from within Processing)

I was going to release in a couple of days while I finish off documentation and maybe make a demo video, but feel free to play with it right away:

http://keystonep5.sourceforge.net/

There's an OpenGL example that relies on GLGraphics's PGraphhicsOffscreen.  I strongly suggest going that route to get acceptable performance.

BTW namke: simply rotating the image around one of the axis is not likely to work -- you need a bilinear transformation to correct the image properly.

d.

Reply #12 - Aug 4th, 2009, 8:24am

looks promosing, especially the planned updates for 3d model mapping etc. i believe i read apost from marius watz where he said that he hacked something similar. but im not sure... anyway this would be a great feature for processing. Thank you!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1