We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Licenses to accept
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Licenses to accept? (Read 788 times)
Licenses to accept?
Nov 23rd, 2008, 11:48pm

Hey everyone,

can somebody please help me out, I am a person who thinks it is important to abide by software license terms, and I had some questions.

1. Which versions of the GPL and LGPL cover Processing and the related libraries?

2. The FAQ says at one point that Processing relies on some other projects with their own licenses (such as the Eclipse license etc). Does this mean I have to read and abide by those licenses to use Processing?

3. Which license covers the Java technology underlying Processing? I am running OSX. MOD: to be exact, OSX 10.5 (Leopard).

I am not looking for exact legal advice, it would be nice if someone could help out though. I would really like to use Processing with a good conscience in regard to license terms and such, I read about the app itself in a recent issue of Linux Magazine and it got to me Smiley

Thanks in advance!
Re: Licenses to accept?
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2008, 2:52pm

1. is easy: license.txt for PDE (the development environment) ie. it is v.2. For the core libraries, it is license.txt, ie. v.2.1.
2. Eclipse is a tool. AFAIK, as such, stuff made with it can have any license. Same for the GPL gcc, for example. And thus, PDE...
3. Java Technology Licensing but I believe Apple insists on making their own Java for their platform, so you should check Apple's site instead.

And, of course, IANAL!
Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2008, 8:17pm

Thanks Philho! It was a great help. However, what does IANAL mean?
Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2008, 11:38pm

A site like AcronymFinder can help: it would tell you it means I Am Not A Lawyer, a standard disclaimer when a programmer talks about legal stuff! Smiley
Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2008, 9:08pm

Alrite, thanks Philho Smiley
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1