We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Open frameworks
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Open frameworks ? (Read 5084 times)
Open frameworks ?
Nov 23rd, 2008, 7:00pm

Can i do the same things with open frameworks and processing ? what are the dissadvantages and advantages of each one ?
thanx
Re: Open frameworks ?
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2008, 9:29pm

Hi.
i use both processing and openframeworks and here's what i think are the pros and cons of each

Processing
+easy
+has its own easy IDE
+the language is really well structured and documented
+lots of libraries
+great for begginers
+great prototyping tool

-performance is not as good
-the IDE might be a little limited for more advanced/bigger projects

OpenFrameworks
+faster
+FAAAASTER!!!!
+loooots of libraries (i mean real c++ libraries)
+great comunity.
+really nice addons
+you work with a "real" IDE which is better for more advanced/bigger projects

-you have to deal with a real IDE.
-you write "real" c++, which is not very user friendly
-most of the libraries are not so easy to use. (i mean the real c++ libraries, the addons are great and easy)

i use both depending on what im trying to do, if its something where performance is not a big issue and i want a fast easy environment to work, i go with processing, if i need more horse power i go with openframeworks.

Hope that help.

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2008, 10:02pm

It did help, thanx, so as i am just learning to code with processing i think i'll stick with processing.

2 more questions, if i make a cool ,heavy cpu sketch, can it be tranlated easily to open frame works ?

I mean i would pay somedody to do it, but id it viable ?

And , will processing be faster one day ?

Thanx.
Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2008, 10:31pm

TweakingKnobs wrote on Nov 23rd, 2008, 10:02pm:
It did help, thanx, so as i am just learning to code with processing i think i'll stick with processing.

2 more questions, if i make a cool ,heavy cpu sketch, can it be tranlated easily to open frame works

I mean i would pay somedody to do it, but id it viable

And , will processing be faster one day

Thanx.

The crucial difference is can you program in Java or C++ already. If the answer is you can program in neither language, stick with Java (Processing). If you can absolutely need performance, and have time to learn C++, go with OF.

Answer to question 1) Yes, unless there is an obscure hardware peripheral that Processing can use that OF cannot (unlikely) then a program can be ported or converted from one framework or library to another. It may not be trivial and will probably not be a line for line change, possibly a complete redesign of the code.

Question 2) Processing will be faster naturally as hardware and the underlying Java compiler become faster and more optimised. Processing itself may also be optimised in the future with certain rendering libraries (OpenGL is reasonably fast already) but I suspect this is not the primary goal of the developers (all hail). I think they value the accessibility and simplicity of the environment and adding features which compromise this for the sake of speed would probably cause some deep thinking before they happen.

In the meantime, if you have a particular bottleneck, ask for help, this is a good and friendly community, someone usually helps. If they don't, PM me.
Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2008, 3:33pm

be sure to check out RubyOpenFrameworks
http://code.google.com/p/rbof/wiki/DevNoteJP
Its early days but it has the potential to be something pretty awesome for programming sketches.
Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2009, 5:18pm

is it possible to create dxf or obj outputs with oF? Or is there some other file format that allows one to export geometries to be used in CAD programs? Thanks for your help.
Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2009, 5:31pm

probably a good question to ask at the OF board
edit: i just realized you did...
Reply #7 - Dec 27th, 2009, 10:43am

there's a great library for processing called anar+ which exports multiple 3d formats including CAD.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1