We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Timeseries display
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Timeseries display (Read 396 times)
Timeseries display
Nov 22nd, 2008, 4:59pm

Hi there

I am quite new to processing and am in the process of trying to learn it and code up a visualisation of some model data at the same time. I know Java, so find some parts quite straight forward.

My visualisation needs to read in data files for each point in time and then provide a visualisation of that data. This I have managed, that is providing a file I can see a visual representation of it in Processing.

What I would like to do now is put it together so that the code iterates through each object representation of the data in the file and gives a gradual representation of each file over time.

Basically my code currently just shows the last file as a complete visualisation, and the others appear to get only partially processed.

I was thinking, to handle this, I could put processing to sleep between each file representation in my for loop with Thread.sleep(4000), but this does not help.

If I have managed to explain myself at all, does anyone have any experience / or advise they can offer me? I am returning back to my book, in the hope that may help.

Thanks
Re: Timeseries display
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2008, 5:52pm

Without knowing exactly what you do, it is hard to figure where the problem is ("this does not help" doesn't tell us what was wrong, for example).

I can do a guess, your problem might be similar to the one I analyze at difference for width/height in setup() and draw() (I quote myself too much lately... Smiley but it is a fundamental pattern in Processing).

Ie. perhaps you try to do everything linearly in the draw() routine, and it won't work because update of the screen is made at the end of draw().

HTH. Otherwise, perhaps you can try and show a little sample reproducing your issue.
Re: Timeseries display
Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2008, 11:00pm

Apologies, I should have replied earlier I was engrossed in my project. I didn't mean to waste people's time, I should have included my code (that was rather silly of me).

I have since resolved my question, poor as it was. I hope to do some 3D work this weekend (time allowing).

Congratulations to Processing on it official launch Smiley
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1