We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › JAVA2D on Linux
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
JAVA2D on Linux? (Read 472 times)
JAVA2D on Linux?
Nov 20th, 2008, 9:04am

Folks;

being fairly new to processing, I made my way through the Getting-Started-Guide just to figure out that the "Hello Mouse" example is not working, just does show a grey window and a single white line and no change whatsoever. Digging a little deeper, I figured out that playing with the different renderer options actually does change this behaviour on my platform. Actually, it seems that only the default/JAVA2D renderer is not working, everything else (P[2|3]D, OPENGL) does fine. So to ask: Are there any known issues with JAVA2D renderer on Linux platforms? I'm on Ubuntu 8.04 on the machine in question...

TIA and all the best,
Kristian

Re: JAVA2D on Linux?
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2008, 7:58pm

What version of Java are you using? That sounds like a Java2D problem, for instance that the JVM shipped with Processing doesn't like your OS or video drivers, or you're using another JVM instead of the one shipped w/ Processing that feels the same way.
Re: JAVA2D on Linux?
Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2008, 9:54am

In which way does the Processing/JRE Linux bundle depend upon a locally installed JDK? Running processing through the start script that comes with the package, I suppose it makes use of the JVM it shipped with, but I do have JAVA_HOME and friends set to point to my "regular" JDK installation. However I had to learn that my notebook (Ubuntu 8.10, JDK 1.6u10) does behave different here inasmuch as, on this machine, JAVA2D works flawlessly... Strange, gonna dive into this again tonite... thanks for your support on that, by now, much appreciated. Smiley
K.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1