We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentLibraries,  Tool Development › Mother: Library for VJing with sketches updated
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Mother: Library for VJing with sketches updated (Read 826 times)
Mother: Library for VJing with sketches updated
Nov 18th, 2008, 2:16pm

Hi!

I have just uploaded an updated 0.2 version of Mother, my program & library combination for mixing the output of multiple sketches.

The host can dynamically load/unload sketches, and mix their visual output in a manner not unlike VJing. In order to work, each sketch needs to use a very simple library that I also include, which handles communication with the host. OSC control data is forwarded to the sketches from the host, while the host itself is also controlled solely using OSC messages.

Besides now working with Processing 0156, I have also added an important new feature that allows processing incoming OSC values using spline interpolation, thus allowing for better animation.

Note that these changes mean that you will need to make slight changes to you previous ‘visual synths’ in order for them to work.

I have included updated examples to get you started, as well as updated documentation.

On http://www.onar3d.com you will find an academic paper describing the library and its use in more detail, as well as a link to the google-code page where the open source project is hosted, and from where the program can be downloaded.

Give it a try and tell me what you think!

The download version is still windows only, but I also have an untested Mac version that I can email you if you would like to volunteer in testing it out.

As always, I would be thrilled if any of you would like to help on developing it further, and of course would very much like to hear if you find it useful in any way!
Slight bug in Mother 0.2, fixed in 0.201
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2008, 1:22pm

Yesterday’s release of Mother 0.2 had a bug which I’ve just fixed with the new upload 0.201.

Many thanks to Aaron Koblin for not only reporting that it doesn’t work but also pointing out how to solve it!

The bug was such that if you didn’t have a version of processing installed in "C:\Program Files\processing\", Mother would start to a blank white screen, because it was looking for OpenGL dll’s in a path that does not exist. In the new 0.201 upload, I have included these dll’s and altered the program so that it uses the included ones.

I did test the 0.2 version on three different machines, but it turns out all three had processing installed on the above path. Will need to start testing on a fresh Virtual Machine installation of Windows or I’ll keep bumping in to simple errors like this…

So if Mother 0.2 didn’t work for you, the good news are you didn’t do anything wrong, simply download 0.201 and give it another shot!

Regards,
Ilias Bergstrom
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1