We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › FFT for multiple samples w/ Sonia
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
FFT for multiple samples w/ Sonia (Read 409 times)
FFT for multiple samples w/ Sonia
Nov 18th, 2008, 6:07am

Hi everyone,

In order to do live FFT analysis using Sonia you have to call getLevel(), getSpectrum() on the LiveInput Object. But I need to do several simultaneous FFT analyses of different samples. The only way to acces the FFT analysis features of Sonia/Jsyn is to call someSample.connectLiveInput(true) on your Sample Object.

Two problems with that:
1. Using connectLiveInput() to send a sample to the LiveInput doesn't work on my machine (Leopard 10.5.5). Anyone else able to do this?

2. Even if I could send the sample to the LiveInput object, I would have to sequentially connect the sample --> do the analysis --> disconnect the sample --> connect the next sample --> do the analysis --> disconnect the sample, etc. as there can only be one LiveInput object, right? And then I have the problem of listening only to the sample and not the mic/line input.

The reason I'm using Sonia in the first place is it's superior fading and panning ability compared with minim and Ess. I need this as I'm dealing with realtime spatialization - can't have the chopiness/clickiness of those other libraries. But it's super easy to obtain the above-mentioned FFT data in those oher libraries. So I'm stuck needing both. Do I need to simultaneously load the sample into two buffers, one for minim and one for Sonia, just to be able to deal with both FFT and smooth spatialization? I'm sure I'm missing something here. Can anyone offer advice?

best,
Zachary
Re: FFT for multiple samples w/ Sonia
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2008, 5:11pm

Can anyone offer advice, please?

Zachary
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1