We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Processing cannot run
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing cannot run (Read 522 times)
Processing cannot run
Nov 13th, 2008, 8:20pm

Hi folks.

just tried installing processing on my mac, get the following message when I try to run it;

'Processing cannot run because it could not create a folder to store your settings'

Any ideas? thanks

nb: new to this so any explanation will have to be in simple speak (sorry)
Re: Processing cannot run
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2008, 11:19pm

That means it couldn't get access to

/Users/YourName/Library

so that it could create the preferences file there. Is it possible that the "Library" folder is somehow not writable on your machine?

For further debugging, open Applications > Utilities > Console.app, and then try running Processing and see if anything shows up in the console. If it does, please post it here.
Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2008, 1:12am

Sorted, thanks

Lets see if I can get my head around this processing lark. Looks fun.

Keep up the good work.

jonny
Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2008, 7:02pm

What was the problem?
Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2008, 9:08pm

my permissions on my user folder were set to read only, though I had checked that before but as with most things it doesn;t hurt checking twice...and thrice....etc.

Thanks for you attention, might see on here a bit. Just bought your book and entering into the unknown, hope its easy to pick up.

jonny
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1