We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Movie Data Visualizer - Film Galaxy
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Movie Data Visualizer - Film Galaxy (Read 1152 times)
Movie Data Visualizer - Film Galaxy
Nov 10th, 2008, 11:07am

Hello,

I have been working on creating a movie-data visualizer in processing.  It takes data from imdb, rottentomatoes, and metacritic, and tries to show a user many dimensions of data in a single view.

Here is the link:
http://scriptedlife.com/processing/film_galaxy_v2/
(hopefully it doesnt go down, as I lazily did not use any sort of caching with the data going into the applet)

Here is an explanation of the different data that the app is trying to convey:

Size of the Cube = Number of Film’s Where the person has had a pivotal role (director/writer/main actor)

Color of the Cube = Monetization value of the person (the greener the cube, the more green their movies make on average)

Height of the Cube = Average Critic’s score of all movies this person has been credited with.

Distance of Cube from central Axis = Amount of disagreement between Critics and casual reviewers. (note the cone-shape of each "galaxy", thats because people are nicer in their reviews than critics)

Length and Direction of Arrow = Direction and amount of disagreement between critics and casual reviewers. Usually casual reviewers are nicer, but that niceness cant overpower critics’ love for Richard Linklater, of ‘Waking Life’ Fame.

Speed of Rotation of cube - amount of "buzz" the person's movies creates (measured by IMDB votes)

Also try dragging around, zooming with the mouse wheel, and clicking on a cube to see details.
Re: Movie Data Visualizer - Film Galaxy
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2008, 1:40am

very nice idea i like it. Which api did you use to get at the data?
Re: Movie Data Visualizer - Film Galaxy
Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2008, 7:48pm

Thanks,

I started with freebase.com (a great resource that I discovered way too late by the way)

Once I had a solid set of movies and people, I crawled through IMDB, RottenTomatoes.com, and MetaCritic.com to get additional review data.

Unfortunately, these places dont have any APIs, and there is really so much stuff that they, or others, could do with the data.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1