We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › Small sketches -- music, grass, swarms...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Small sketches -- music, grass, swarms... (Read 1980 times)
Small sketches -- music, grass, swarms...
Oct 22nd, 2008, 4:10pm

I've been playing with Processing for a couple of weeks now, and I thought I may as well put some of my more interesting sketches up. You can visit the gallery at http://tinyurl.com/barryvan-processing .

Some of the highlights:

Mobile Phone Drum Machine
 Using MIDI in a tracker-style vertical interface, put together a 16-row looping drum pattern on your mobile phone. (Mobile Processing)

Grass & Droplets
 These two sketches were really built to get to know the Traer physics library a bit better. Grass is just that - a lot of blades of grass which move in 'wind'. Droplets is a series of water droplets which fall onto leaves, pool, and fall off again.

Energy
 I do a lot of composition work as well as programming, and recently I have become interested in experimental music. This sketch illustrates this. Essentially, there are a variety of different particle types; the most basic one moves across the screen, building up energy as it goes, and, when it's got enough, releases this energy as a musical tone. The tone played depends on the particle's position on the screen. The other particle types include following particles, pulse particles, and beat particles. Two variant applets are available from the gallery website: one which is atonal, with 24 sequential twelve-tone equal temperament ntoes, and the other is mapped to an E minor pentatonic scale. Further details on the gallery page.

Swarms
 Playing with particles; particles are either male or female (blue or pink), and move as a swarm. Younger (smaller) particles move much more quickly. Particles have a chance of reproducing if two particles of opposite sexes meet.

Particle Swarm Optimisation
 Pretty much self-explanatory, I think. Smiley

Let me know what you think of the various sketches. I'm still getting used to the Processing paradigm, but I'm thoroughly enjoying doing so. Smiley
Re: Small sketches -- music, grass, swarms...
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2008, 11:25am

excellent well done Smiley, I got to play through the first couple, but the website has been crashing out since yesterday...looking forward to seeing the rest of them....well done again, I like these kinds of ideas, being an electroplankton fan myself Smiley
Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2008, 11:32am

Thanks for the feedback, glenn! Much appreciated. Smiley I'm glad you enjoyed what you saw.

You say the website is crashing? It's working for me. I might chase it up with the host.
Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2008, 11:48am

seems to be working now.  i like swarms, good metaphor of how boys and girls chase each other in the real world (what would happen for the 10% gay community?) Smiley
Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2008, 5:18pm

i really liked grass and swarms.. Smiley

the others are just not on the top of my interests, sorry Wink

keep up the good work though!

seltar
Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2008, 5:36pm

Thanks for taking a look and commenting, seltar. Smiley I'm glad you liked grass and swarms... I must admit, they're my favourite ones, too. Smiley
Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2008, 2:37am

Do you think you could put up the source to Energy? I'd really like to take a look at that one, and neither of the versions seem to have a link to the source.
Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2008, 2:52am

Yeah, I'll put the source code for Energy up this evening after work. Sorry about that -- I thought I'd put up the source for all of them.
Reply #8 - Nov 3rd, 2008, 12:41pm

Sorry about the delay, Gordon_CSA -- I've put up the source code for Energy now.
Reply #9 - Nov 4th, 2008, 4:33am

Nice work. You might be interested in this for your droplets:

http://www.jbox2d.org/

The demos are impressive for physics simulations and collisions.
Reply #10 - Dec 2nd, 2008, 5:32pm

Amazing visuals and music .
i really enjoy all your works .

I tried to run the ENERGY sketch directly from PROCESSING but sends me the next error message:

-cannot find a class or typed name "Particle"-

What should i do? i´m a newbie ...

Thanks for share it and greetings from México ...
Reply #11 - Dec 2nd, 2008, 11:59pm

Thanks, VertexGerm! Smiley To get it to run in Processing, you'll need to download all of the .PDE files, and put them in the same directory.

@AtomBoy: Thanks! I've taken a look, and I'm now really interested in using the library -- it's absolutely fantastic! Cheesy
Reply #12 - Dec 3rd, 2008, 3:31pm

Thanks a lot for your time . i really appreciate it.

I´ve found your work very ineteresting , i like the way you mix sound , graphics and textures ... Really cool ...

Cheers ...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1