We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOther Libraries › Send an email via Processing
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send an email via Processing (Read 2385 times)
Send an email via Processing
Oct 18th, 2008, 6:50am

where do I start? The server/client libraries don't seem to fit this task. am I missing something?

thanks
Re: Send an email via Processing
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2008, 5:27pm

You might want to use the JavaMail API, the classical way to do it in Java.
There is a JavaMail quick start which can get you started.
Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2008, 6:31pm

Thanks PhiLho,
so does that mean that I can use pure java in processing?
My reason for wanting to send an email in processing is because processing is communicating with my arduino.
Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2008, 9:28am

The answer is yes, although fry often warn against using Swing/AWT in Processing because of possible conflicts and issues of portability.

You can use foreign Jars by putting them in a code folder in the sketch folder, but for long term use the general practice is to make a library to wrap Java into a more Processing-like API.

I am not sure to see the relation of e-mails and Arduino... Smiley
Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2008, 4:19am

thanks again!
An arduino is connected to my computer's serial port and is communicating with processing.
I have the arduino controlling a lock on my door, and I wanted to add the feature of sending me an email if someone knocks on the door
Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2008, 4:48pm

Hi, the easiest way I believe would be using Shiffman's wonderful code to send and receive emails vias Processing

http://www.shiffman.net/2007/11/13/e-mail-processing/

From the arduino, when you detect that the door has been knocked on, you just need to send a message to Processing via Serial. When that message is received, you just need to call the sendEmail function.

Hope it helps!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1