We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentLibraries,  Tool Development › Syndication Library (RSS & Atom)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Syndication Library (RSS & Atom) (Read 1011 times)
Syndication Library (RSS & Atom)
Oct 15th, 2008, 4:06am

Not too long ago, I was looking for a way to import (mostly) syndicated feeds into my processing sketch and use the data in different ways. The two solutions I found were using an XML parser, which is ok but requires lots of code, or using the ROME library, which works great but doesn't provide management of multiple feeds and other useful functionalities.

Instead of just coding everything in the sketch, I built a small library on top of ROME, which I called romeFeeder. At the moment, it is still basic, but it allows to load one or multiple feeds, easily update to fetch new entries, and also loading through a (PHP) proxy for applets.

I'll keep adding and fixing bugs as I test and need more functionalities, but it would be great if others played with it. At the moment, there's no dedicated space for discussion about the library, but if anyone's interested, I'll set things up.

Let me know what you think.

http://www.brunonadeau.com/romefeeder
Re: Syndication Library (RSS & Atom)
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2008, 7:43am

hi shambles,
romefeeder looks good, just downloaded and ran it. one suggestion i would have is to make the download of feeds asynchronous, meaning to run downloads in a separate thread so that it does not interfere with precessing's drawing thread which is the case with the MultiFeed and SingleFeed examples you provided (the processes in draw get stuck when downloading/updating feeds and only continue when the download is finished). in singleFeed there seems to be a problem with variable se, shouldnt it be defined as a global variable, not only in setup since it is being used in draw, too?
best,
andreas
Re: Syndication Library (RSS & Atom)
Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2008, 5:22pm

thanks for the suggestions. asynchronous loading is definitely needed. will fix that and the variable thing soon.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1