We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Help with project
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Help with project? (Read 428 times)
Help with project?
Oct 3rd, 2008, 6:25pm

Hi.

I am working on a project and I am aware that what I am trying to achieve is possible using Processing. I am completely new to Processing and so I'm not really sure where to start, so I'm hoping that the community here will be able to help me out.

I hope to create a full screen application of Conway's "game of life". Although the grid size should be quite small, meaning that the cells will be quite big. Once it is opened cells which are alive to start off with are randomized, and once there is no change possible or all the cells are dead they become randomized once again.

I would then like MIDI to be sent from Processing so that I can use it in another application such as Max/MSP.. So for every possible cell position will have a MIDI note assigned to it and when that cell becomes "alive", that MIDI note is sent...

To make things more complicated, I would also like for it to interface with Reactivision... So when a fiducial is detected, a certain action applies to the cells... Such as all cells die in the area that the fiducial is present...

I realise that this is quite a complex application to be asking for help on especially since I am completely new to Processing.. However, all and any help will be greatly appreciated!

I look forward to your response!
Re: Help with project?
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2008, 12:29am

Take your time, learn the language, proceed step by step and you'll achieve it. Processing has enough librairies to help you build such kind of app.

You know what you want and where you are going, so let's have fun! (and don't hesitate to post on the forum if you face some more specific issues)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1